Avoid these coops!

I completely agree that prefab aren't the best options. Some people unfortunately find this out after purchasing one and having to remodel it. Sometimes it is just easier to repurpose something else to be the coop.
I will say that I did purchase a prefab coop after I built my coop. I use the prefab as a chicken hospital for when I need it. That is one thing I do like about them.

Just one comment in defense of the prefabs as starter coops. I wouldn't have chickens if I'd had to build my own coop or spend two or three thousand dollars on a good one.
Of course, after you get the pre-fab, you spend several frustrating months (and more $) remedying all the problems that come with them!
And all that ‘remedying’ gives you great new skills to help you build your own. 👍

And I still use remnants from old prefabs to build chick nurseries and quick fix patchwork when fencing is jeopardized in my big coops.

I completely agree that prefab aren't the best options. Some people unfortunately find this out after purchasing one and having to remodel it. Sometimes it is just easier to repurpose something else to be the coop.
I will say that I did purchase a prefab coop after I built my coop. I use the prefab as a chicken hospital for when I need it. That is one thing I do like about them.
Yep, they can be great little hospitals.

The prefabs I’ve purchase have all come from end of the season clearance sales from our local feed store. Even then they are over priced for the low quality and size. So, even though I defended the small bits of usefulness they might provide, starting with an old shed, rescued lumber, and/or a good set of coop plans gets one off to a much better start.

I use one prefab for only short term. I use it an acclimation coop for chicks, & chicken breeding.
20200621_152313.jpg

Yes the prices are stupidly ridiculous, but never had an issue with them except they do get weather worn after a few years. Gotta replace mine soon.

I completely agree.with you all. I posted this mainly because it points out some things that most new chicken owners may not even realize.
I learned a lot from Bri/Featherbrain's blog before I discovered this forum (and continue to do so). She has some great articles on adding ventilation, and her articles are always well-researched. A bonus for me is that she lives in my area!

Back
Top Bottom