Avoid these coops!

I've at least gotten good mileage out of my prefab - it served for 2 years as the coop, then we dismantled it and reused the parts for an outdoor brooder, a covered feed area, a compost sifter, and a wire rack to hang oyster shell//grit on. Though mine's solid cedar and welded wire, a step up from the typical cheap fir models being offered by the big web retailers.

I do like the obvious side-by-side difference between "big new coop" and "old small coop":

coopold.jpg

I'm just going to say that I use prefab coops for some of my birds. I have 2 now and plan to get a 3rd in a few days. Granted I don't use them for big groups or picky birds, so that solves a problem right there. I also leave the doors (house doors, not run doors) open 24/7 (If a predator breaks through the mesh, I can pretty much guarantee that thin little door ain't keeping them out) so that helps with ventilation. If you really need space and only have a hen or two, you can usually keep a seperator our of the nesting area and just have 1 box instead of the normal 3.

The quality, yes. Not with the near 400 each coop is. But it's convienent for me because me and a friend can build a coop in a day and don't have tonworry about measuring, cutting or the skyrocketing plywood prices. To build a coop the same size would almost be the same price now where I am.

Again, i only have a few birds in mine, and while they have less space than is recommended, I see no reason to suggest they're not happy with it. One of my cockerels I'm certain is glad to be penned with 2 girls in one of these instead of being harassed constantly by the other males.

But I did think the article was very well written and definitely something someone should read before going down that path so they know ahead of time (unlike me and my first prefab) that they are far more maintenance than they appear online

Just one comment in defense of the prefabs as starter coops. I wouldn't have chickens if I'd had to build my own coop or spend two or three thousand dollars on a good one.
Of course, after you get the pre-fab, you spend several frustrating months (and more $) remedying all the problems that come with them!
And all that ‘remedying’ gives you great new skills to help you build your own. 👍

And I still use remnants from old prefabs to build chick nurseries and quick fix patchwork when fencing is jeopardized in my big coops.

Rules of Thumb
  • If it looks like a dollhouse it's only suitable for toy chickens.
  • If it's measured in inches instead of feet it's too small.
  • If your walk-in closet is larger than the coop-run combo you're thinking of buying think carefully about whether you have an utterly awesome closet or are looking at a seriously undersized chicken coop.
  • If it has more nestboxes than the number of chickens it can legitimately hold the designer knew nothing about chickens' actual needs and it probably has other design flaws too.

The prefabs I’ve purchase have all come from end of the season clearance sales from our local feed store. Even then they are over priced for the low quality and size. So, even though I defended the small bits of usefulness they might provide, starting with an old shed, rescued lumber, and/or a good set of coop plans gets one off to a much better start.

Just one comment in defense of the prefabs as starter coops. I wouldn't have chickens if I'd had to build my own coop or spend two or three thousand dollars on a good one.
Of course, after you get the pre-fab, you spend several frustrating months (and more $) remedying all the problems that come with them!
I agree! I wasn’t sure chickens were going to work in our backyard or that I would be able to manage the work they required. I wasn’t going to spend $$$$ to discover I hated having chickens or lacked the time they needed. That’s a really big investment. I waited until I was sure it was worth it. If I’d known how much I would love chickens I’d have done things differently but hindsight is 20/20! I think it makes a great grow out coop.

I've got one that I use for brooding chicks. Works great just up until the time they can move in with the main flock. You need to put a bunch of bricks under the nesting box area though, cause a fox can come up right through the floor. We have a mild climate here so it has lasted 3 years without problems. Pophole remains open 24/7 because yeah, the ventilation isn't great.

When there's no little chooks around I usually leave it open and the hens drop off some eggs or go in there if it's raining.

Back
Top Bottom