Solar powered automatic chicken coop door!

Lover duck duck

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
Hello to everyone that reads this. I am looking for a solar powered chicken coop door for larger breeds. There are lots and lots of doors on Amazon but poor reviews. I saw a post on here about The ladies chicken coop door but I was wondering what people thought about the fact that it has a pvc frame. Rodents can chew through pvc so I am concerned about that. Has anyone had a problem with rodents chewing through the frame of the ladies chicken door? Any other recommendations? It has to have solar power because we have no power whatsoever going to that coop. Thanks in advance.

Hello to everyone that reads this. I am looking for a solar powered chicken coop door for larger breeds. There are lots and lots of doors on Amazon but poor reviews. I saw a post on here about The ladies chicken coop door but I was wondering what people thought about the fact that it has a pvc frame. Rodents can chew through pvc so I am concerned about that. Has anyone had a problem with rodents chewing through the frame of the ladies chicken door? Any other recommendations? It has to have solar power because we have no power whatsoever going to that coop. Thanks in advance.
Check out this thread.

I believe this has the answers to your questions! Good luck!

I'll add one more option. We manufacture the Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken door, see chickendoors.com . The door and frame are aluminum, so nothing to rust or become brittle like steel or plastic. Our hardware is brass, screws are stainless steel. They are built to last, and we've been leading the market since 2010. Another big factor is that we have a phone and answer questions, you'd be surprised how many people buy some other door on amazon, have issues, return it, and then order one of our doors.

I'll add one more option. We manufacture the Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken door, see chickendoors.com . The door and frame are aluminum, so nothing to rust or become brittle like steel or plastic. Our hardware is brass, screws are stainless steel. They are built to last, and we've been leading the market since 2010. Another big factor is that we have a phone and answer questions, you'd be surprised how many people buy some other door on amazon, have issues, return it, and then order one of our doors.
Hi,
I really like the door swings open. But I wish I could see it in operation since you do not offer returns I want to make sure it will fit my needs. How does it keep it in a lock position, etc.

Hi,
I really like the door swings open. But I wish I could see it in operation since you do not offer returns I want to make sure it will fit my needs. How does it keep it in a lock position, etc.
You can see an old video where I show how to program it:

I looked so much younger back 12 yeas ago! It does swing slowly, it takes about 5 seconds to close. The door is held in position by the motor. Our motor is a 5-stage planetary gear motor. At over a pound, our motor alone weighs more than some of our competitors entire door.

The reason we have to post the 'no returns' policy is due to Paypal's policies. We had some customers buy a door, install it, and want to return it weeks later. Paypal forced us to give the customer full credit, including shipping, and pay for the return shipping. It's crazy, but it's paypal's policy. In the rare instance when someone orders a door, their circumstances change, and want to send the door back (uninstalled!), we will work with them.

I used to have indian runner ducks, and they did great with our standard sized door. Elevate it 4-6" above the floor and they stepped right through it, no problem. I also had some chinese geese, and they fit through it easily enough, but they would always yell at it after walking through. They were always grumpy though and yelled at everything! (one reason I no longer have geese!)

Hi,
Ok I watched the video. So how about the features. Does it open and shut at dawn and sundown? Can it be open and shut manually whenever I like instead of automatically at dawn or sundown? What about the solar power panel I see on your site. Do you have instructions on installing all of it with solar panel?

Ask and... here is a video talking about manual versus dawn/dark photo sensor cycles:

You can use the photo sensor and have it open at dawn and close at dusk every day. Our door has some advantages over our competition, it takes several minutes of the light transition before it decides to open or close.

Let me give an example where that matters. Let's say someone drives up and parks the car with the headlights on (dropping off your teenager after prom?). If that light hits any of our competitor's door, it will open in a couple of seconds allowing any lucky raccoons into the coop. And it will close when the car leaves, with the raccoon locked inside. With the several minute delay built into our door, we don't have that issue.

Also, you can delay the opening and closing times separately by 30,60, or 90 minutes. Let's say you have some young hens who stay out a bit late, just give them a 30 minute delay and they'll make it into the coop. When I had ducks, they needed a full hour delay because they are just party animals (you know it's true!). Note, all of our photo sensors come with 10 feet of wire so you can easily position them to avoid street lights or motion lights. And all of our doors are 'programmable'. You can override the photo sensor if it's there. You can set it to open at any time and close at any time, let's say you want it to open at noon and close at 8:27pm. Easy to do.

For the solar panel, those instructions are included with the door. It simply plugs into the battery. We build a voltage regulator into the solar panel so that it won't overcharge the battery during daytime or discharge it at night. With our solar panel, our batteries typically last at least 5 years, usually closer to 7 years. And it is a standard 12v 5 amp-hour lead acid battery, available almost anywhere. You can see the instructions for it here: (page 3) https://chickendoors.com/instructions/manual/ (note it is in .pdf format).

My apologies for being long-winded, but I like to be thorough.
Thank you.

Ask and... here is a video talking about manual versus dawn/dark photo sensor cycles:

You can use the photo sensor and have it open at dawn and close at dusk every day. Our door has some advantages over our competition, it takes several minutes of the light transition before it decides to open or close.

Let me give an example where that matters. Let's say someone drives up and parks the car with the headlights on (dropping off your teenager after prom?). If that light hits any of our competitor's door, it will open in a couple of seconds allowing any lucky raccoons into the coop. And it will close when the car leaves, with the raccoon locked inside. With the several minute delay built into our door, we don't have that issue.

Also, you can delay the opening and closing times separately by 30,60, or 90 minutes. Let's say you have some young hens who stay out a bit late, just give them a 30 minute delay and they'll make it into the coop. When I had ducks, they needed a full hour delay because they are just party animals (you know it's true!). Note, all of our photo sensors come with 10 feet of wire so you can easily position them to avoid street lights or motion lights. And all of our doors are 'programmable'. You can override the photo sensor if it's there. You can set it to open at any time and close at any time, let's say you want it to open at noon and close at 8:27pm. Easy to do.

For the solar panel, those instructions are included with the door. It simply plugs into the battery. We build a voltage regulator into the solar panel so that it won't overcharge the battery during daytime or discharge it at night. With our solar panel, our batteries typically last at least 5 years, usually closer to 7 years. And it is a standard 12v 5 amp-hour lead acid battery, available almost anywhere. You can see the instructions for it here: (page 3) https://chickendoors.com/instructions/manual/ (note it is in .pdf format).

My apologies for being long-winded, but I like to be thorough.
Thank you.
Thanks for your response. I am glad your thorough. :)

One last question. It comes with the solar panel but not the 12v battery, correct?

Thanks for your response. I am glad your thorough. :)

One last question. It comes with the solar panel but not the 12v battery, correct?
You can order the door with both the solar panel and battery. You have choices for the power supply: none (provide your own), solar+battery (4 wire lengths available from 10-25-50-100ft), trickle charger with battery, or plug-in adapter (requires photo sensor). We love offering choices.

I am looking for a solar powered chicken coop door for larger breeds.
The ADOR2 Is the large size of the ADOR1. It is called "AUTOMATIC TURKEY DOOR - ADOR2"

DSC00488_grande.jpg
ADOR_2_Dimensions.jpg

As mentioned:
Check out this thread.

In that thread I made mention of the ADOR1 and even tho it does not offer a solar option, as of yet, It is not hard to add it.

"these are not made with external charging capabilities, I suspect it is because the batteries they use are 6v. Most solar charging systems are 12v. But if you get an Outdoor Hunting Power Deer Feeder Battery Charger Edrenaline Solar Panel and a 6V Rechargeable Lantern Battery. You can change out their battery they send. With minimal of fuss. However these batteries last a long time."

Disclaimer: I do not own or have not purchased any of these automatic doors. Some of the links provided are affiliate links. However the doors I have linked to are ones that, if I did not make my own doors, I would actually seriously consider buying one of them OR I would recommend one of them to friends or family if there was no way to get one of my own to them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom