Avoid these coops!

I completely agree that prefab aren't the best options. Some people unfortunately find this out after purchasing one and having to remodel it. Sometimes it is just easier to repurpose something else to be the coop.
I will say that I did purchase a prefab coop after I built my coop. I use the prefab as a chicken hospital for when I need it. That is one thing I do like about them.

I use one prefab for only short term. I use it an acclimation coop for chicks, & chicken breeding.
20200621_152313.jpg

Yes the prices are stupidly ridiculous, but never had an issue with them except they do get weather worn after a few years. Gotta replace mine soon.

I completely agree that prefab aren't the best options. Some people unfortunately find this out after purchasing one and having to remodel it. Sometimes it is just easier to repurpose something else to be the coop.
I will say that I did purchase a prefab coop after I built my coop. I use the prefab as a chicken hospital for when I need it. That is one thing I do like about them.
Yep, they can be great little hospitals.

I completely agree.with you all. I posted this mainly because it points out some things that most new chicken owners may not even realize.
I learned a lot from Bri/Featherbrain's blog before I discovered this forum (and continue to do so). She has some great articles on adding ventilation, and her articles are always well-researched. A bonus for me is that she lives in my area!

I'm just going to say that I use prefab coops for some of my birds. I have 2 now and plan to get a 3rd in a few days. Granted I don't use them for big groups or picky birds, so that solves a problem right there. I also leave the doors (house doors, not run doors) open 24/7 (If a predator breaks through the mesh, I can pretty much guarantee that thin little door ain't keeping them out) so that helps with ventilation. If you really need space and only have a hen or two, you can usually keep a seperator our of the nesting area and just have 1 box instead of the normal 3.

The quality, yes. Not with the near 400 each coop is. But it's convienent for me because me and a friend can build a coop in a day and don't have tonworry about measuring, cutting or the skyrocketing plywood prices. To build a coop the same size would almost be the same price now where I am.

Again, i only have a few birds in mine, and while they have less space than is recommended, I see no reason to suggest they're not happy with it. One of my cockerels I'm certain is glad to be penned with 2 girls in one of these instead of being harassed constantly by the other males.

But I did think the article was very well written and definitely something someone should read before going down that path so they know ahead of time (unlike me and my first prefab) that they are far more maintenance than they appear online
I agree, placing them inside a secure run makes all the difference!

Back
Top Bottom