1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Awkward behavior??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wpage1979, Oct 14, 2012.

1. wpage1979

wpage1979 New Egg

Jun 2, 2012
    Tarboro, NC
    I have 6 hens, 3 Rhode Island Reds, and 3 Australorps. One of the Australorps keeps escaping from the chicken pen, and is hiding in the barn. She has been laying eggs in the barn, and for the past 8 days, has not laid any eggs, or left the barn. There were 2 eggs she was laying on, but I removed those eggs a few days ago. When I try to get her out of my barn, she growls and tries to bite me. Do I need to kill this chicken, or is this some kind of phase that chickens go through? Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    She's broody and wants to raise a family.
    If you have fertile eggs, give them to her to hatch.
    If not, break her by placing her in an elevated cage, thereby cooling her bottom.

Kill her? Absolutely not.

3. wpage1979

wpage1979 New Egg

Jun 2, 2012
    Tarboro, NC
    Thanks. I know the eggs can't be fertile, I have no rooster. There aren't any eggs where she lays, and she doesn't leave to eat or drink. I will put her back in the chicken pen, and she finds a way out and goes right back to the same spot. I don't understand it since there are no eggs, and she has not laid an egg in over a week.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. StarryEyzz

StarryEyzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Granite Falls, WA
    I am doing a lot of reading on when hens go broody. She will not lay egss in this stage. There are a lot of diffrent ways to deal with this. Do a search on here and you will see lots of tips. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by