Axel issues on tractor...please help...

gogoalie

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Alaska
big_smile.png

I just made me some home made axels on my tractor usin' rebar (17" cut to lenght, on each side) & then have two tubes encasin' the rebar (like ungreased bearings) & then I've a hammered out metal U bar holding the two tubes in place, onto a 2x4. The problem I have with this is that the rebar won't stay in place & the wheel loves to come out, I am thinkin' a lil' hole drilled in on the non-wheel axel side & then maybe a bolt & washer to hold the axel in place? But that would soon wear out, I know, from friction, so I am wondering what a more permenant solution would be.

Likewise, the added 2x4 support for the axel, & the wheels on the tractor gives alot more clearance near the hen house for smaller dogs to get in underneath, what do you suppose I can do about that?

Please allow me some clues or some guidence, as this is the first time I've ever done this. If you need more description perhaps I can post some pictures up.

Thanks in advanced for all your assistance!

Some pics would be nice but here are my wheels
IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

and the move a 400 lb pen
IMG_0075.jpg

hope this helps kind of sounds like what you want to do
drop me a line if you have any ???

CW, used huge 1/2 lag bolt in a small 2x4 that was nailed to the coop, but the 2x4 split from the weight of my tractor...so then I tried directly laggin' it to the tractor frame under the house itself, but the wheels bent again, from the weight as well...I then found a nice 7' peice o' rebar, & fasioned on a length of 2x4 usin' my no grease "bearings", & the rebar then bent (my 2x4 was shorter than the lenght of the hen house). So then I cut the 2x4 in half, cut the rebar off the ends, & then nailed the 2x4 onto the house, & then attached the axle, with bearings & homemade support, screwed to the 2x4. However, the weight that it can hold is enough, but the axle slips out of the "bearings" (My bearings are just one 1/2 tube on the rebar, & then inside yet another tube)...Pics follow:

Wheel.jpg

Wheel2.jpg

Honestly I think it would be a lot simpler to attach your wheels the normal way with bolts. They just need to be screwed into something sufficiently large and solid - a leetle piece of 2x4, especially if you were screwing into end grain, is not going to cut it. What if you put a piece of 4x4 under each edge of the tractor -- it does not have to run the full length of the tractor but it *does* need to be at least 10-12" long. Screw it on by screwing down thru the floor of the tractor from inside. Now drill an axle-bolt-diameter hole horizontally through it, and use a bolt (not lag screw) to attach the wheel. Washers need to go between all parts of the assembly.

If for some reason you really really want to use your current setup, then:

is the problem that the wheel is not attached to the end of the rebar and thus flops off the rebar? (Solution: replace rebar with sturdy largeish-diameter threaded rod, and put nuts on the ends to keep wheels on). Or is the problem that the rebar, contained in the metal piping, slips out of its harness you've made with screws and wire? (Solution: go to the plumbing dep't of the hardware store where you will find all sorts of fittings for strapping pipes to walls and so forth, get a couple that are sized/shaped correctly to strap your metal tubes to the underside of the tractor so they can't pop out)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Pat, thanks so much for your input, the wheels are staying on the rebar, & the bearings are stayin' in the harness I've fasioned, it's the rebar, wheel & all, that slips out of the "bearing" i've made...
big_smile.png

Oh wait, so it isn't a single continuous axle serving both wheels, it is two "half axles" so to speak? Do I have it right, now?

If so, the logical thing would seem to be to get a new longer piece of rebar and make it INTO just one axle with wheels at both ends. And there ya go
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

like said before you could make the axle run the full width, problem solved. You could also try drilling the rebar for a retaining bolt, i really doubt you would wear through it, its not like you're going to be going highway speeds. You could also replace the rebar with threaded rod that extends past the tube and put a locknut or bouble nut on the end

Pat, yeah, I pretty much cut the ends off the whole rebar that I had... & then cut the 2x4 I had for the axle support...I found this lenght of rebar, dunno where or if I could find another...
big_smile.png

Tyler, I think I'll try to drill a hole for a bolt & washer set up to keep it from slipping out...My tractor is a "freebie" that I made outta lumber & parts that I scavanged...the only thing I bought were the hasp & clasp, hinges, nails, screws, & the wheels...
big_smile.png

patimekiller - where did you get the parts that hold on the wheels & the parts that hold the wheels while moving (silver parts at top)? Oh, and what are the names of the parts so I know what I am looking for?

Back
Top Bottom