Ayam Cemani chick growth

percoco13

In the Brooder
May 5, 2015
Does this breed typically develop slower than others? I have an Ayam Cemani chick that was hatched July 2 and she's much smaller and slower to feather than the other chicks I have! She's otherwise doing well as far as behavior, eating and drinking. Does anyone have any experience they can share regarding how these guys grow? Thanks in advance.

Mine feather out at the same rate as all my other breeds, but they are a small breed, so her being smaller than your others is nothing to worry about, depending on what breeds they are.

She is only a day or two younger than my polish chicks and they are growing much faster and feathering out quite a bit. Although my blue polish is smaller than my buff.... It's interesting to see the differences. I have them with ameraucanas, the polish, a Wyandotte, and some Olive eggers (wellsummer and whiting true bus crosses), a barred Plymouth Rock. She is by far the smallest, then my white created blue polish, then my barred rock. The others are all roughly the same size. She's my first AC, but I know they're a smaller breed- but her feathering is significantly slower too! Im not worried about her since she's eating well and active- just curious as to the growth rate difference! She still looks like a week old chick.

It could be a case of failure to thrive - I'd maybe try giving her some Nutri-Drench and see if she starts catching up to the others.

I've given them all doses of electrolytes and Sav-a- Chick. Is there a significant difference with NutriDrench?

So my chick is now 6 1/2 weeks old and no bigger than a normal 2 week old chick. She also only has feathers on her wings. She eats, drinks,poops ok. I've given her savea chick vitamin supplement, she's been wormed- everything looks ok other than the fact that she hasn't grown any in a month! I'm going to add some Brewers yeast to her feed- but I'm
Really not sure how else to help her! All of my other pullets are fully feathered and outdoors, being normal young chickens and she is still in the brooding box, going on almost 7 weeks now! Has anyone had this experience for this long? Thanks!

So my chick is now 6 1/2 weeks old and no bigger than a normal 2 week old chick. She also only has feathers on her wings. She eats, drinks,poops ok. I've given her savea chick vitamin supplement, she's been wormed- everything looks ok other than the fact that she hasn't grown any in a month! I'm going to add some Brewers yeast to her feed- but I'm
Really not sure how else to help her! All of my other pullets are fully feathered and outdoors, being normal young chickens and she is still in the brooding box, going on almost 7 weeks now! Has anyone had this experience for this long? Thanks!

Are you still running the light in the brooder? That can make them feather in slower. Also check her bottom and see if you notice any hard bumps around her stomach and butt. If she seems healthy and it's not to cold out I would put her in the coop with the rest. If you seperate her for to long at this age you are going to have trouble getting her in there with the others.

I am running the light at night because I now have ducklings in there- it was timed to where the chicks and turkey poults would long be outside by the time the ducklings arrived. They all
Moved out except for her. She was shaking her head and sounded wet awhile back so I put the lamp back on her and it all cleared up. She's still just so small, I can't figure it out. She's active and eats and drinks just fine. This is her tonight- she was hatched July 2... I've had her since July 6.

It's been over eight months since you originally posted this. Can you give an update on the AC chick? Did she make it?

I hatched a small clutch of eggs that I'd bought online. All had this issue and none made it past two weeks when other varieties hatched in same group with them did fine. For my second attempt, I purchased day old chicks from a different source. Initially all 4 seemed stunted and small, and did not grow at the same rate as the other breeds. 3 of the 4 finally started to get just a touch bigger at the outset of the fourth week, while the runt of the bunch was still the size she was on hatch day. Unfortunately, as of last night, she did not make it. The remaining AC seem to be healthy and active... just extremely slow to develop.

She lived for about two months like that and never grew and then died. I was pretty upset as I had issues with most of the birds I bought from that breeder and I wasted a ton of money.

Back
Top Bottom