Ayam Cemani chickens suddenly sick?

pkinville

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2021
So I purchased 8 Ayam Cemani chicks. Took forever to arrive, lost one in transit. The remaining 7 were all over the place in size. No way they were from the same hatching. The largest is now acting VERY lethargic. Its head is hanging down, almost to the ground. It moves slower than the rest. Stumbles a little when it moves around. No weird colored poop or anything. The rest seem to be ok, though another one has me a little worried with how it might be acting.

I have them on CORID for now. Any ideas? Am I gonna lose my very expensive chickens? The breeder has been VERY UNHELPFUL AND UNRESPONSIVE to emails. Never did get a refund on the lost bird that died in the mail, or for the cost of the shipping, which they completely missed the deadline on...birds came a day later than promised and one was dead.

They arrived missing feathers and not in great shape. But they seemed fine until recently. Not sure what is up with them now.

Sounds like a number of things really— especially since they are chicks. They could be cold, dehydrated, overall weak and very stressed due to the long trip. Check their vents (anus) to make sure that they don't have pasty butt. From my experiance on raising the Ayam Cemani breed, they are very difficult to raise and are pretty sensitive to changes and stress. Offer room temperature or warm water with electrolytes and vitamins. It sounds like the breeder has been very irresponsible throughout the entire shipment and such.

Sounds like a number of things really— especially since they are chicks. They could be cold, dehydrated, overall weak and very stressed due to the long trip. Check their vents (anus) to make sure that they don't have pasty butt. Warm them up ASAP and offer room temperature or warm water with electrolytes. It sounds like the breeder has been very irresponsible throughout the entire shipment and such.
Thanks for the reply! I guess I wasn't clear, I have had them onhand for a couple weeks. I believe the breeder mailed them out at 4 weeks old so they are probably about 6 weeks now. The one started being weird yesterday and I started them on the CORID today.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I wasn't clear, I have had them onhand for a couple weeks. I believe the breeder mailed them out at 4 weeks old so they are probably about 6 weeks now. The one started being weird yesterday and I started them on the CORID today.
How is the poop? Have to checked them over for any lice or mites? It most likely could be Coccidiosis and if it is, it'll take the Corid a couple days to work before you see any improvement. As for the mean time, just keep them fed and watered with warmth. Don't give any vitamins if they're on Corid as it nullifies both. Red Cell for equines is also something I give my chicks that are suffering Coccidiosis as it boosts their Iron levels and prevents deadly effects of anemia from the Coccidosis.

The poop seems OK. I have not noticed any bloody stool or anything. I did have some issues with feather loss when I first got them but I dusted their area and them with some diatomaceous earth and they were all looking pretty good.

One of them is a LOT smaller than the rest but the sick one is actually the one that was the biggest of them. I am kinda worried as I am pretty sure a second one is acting funny now. I really hope I don't lose them. I waited a LONG time for them to arrive and when they did finally arrive, they looked pretty rough and one of them died in transit. Not a great start.

The breeder has been very unhelpful in responding to me. Thanks a ton for your replies!

264811434_10225507166817262_3058793131311936109_n.jpg
264936888_10225507166777261_4263429224453390539_n.jpg

The breeder says they were for Marek's. No mention of Coccidia. I am currently operating under the assumption it is coccidiosis and am treating them with COVAD @ 2 tsp/gal of the 9.6% liquid. Fingers crossed? You think that's it?

Oh, and they have been on medicated crumbles since I got them. They did have a stupid frizzle that snuck in the laid an egg in their brooder but that is the only cross contamination they have had.

Back
Top Bottom