Ayam Cemani cross breeding

Pics
Where are you located? I might actually take you up on that.
My husband says no roos but we've had up to 9 at one point so I'm certain they'll be another in the future at some point 😂😂😂

I'm in Ewing VA. Very southwest tip of the state, lol!!

Then her rooster has the double gene for the black. If you are breeding AC, you want a double gene rooster as well as a double gene hen. You test the hen the same way. Breed to a non AC rooster. If the chicks are all black you have a double gene bird. If assorted colors, only one gene.

That's really interesting. I'll have Ameraucana roo's next season, and should get at least SOME hens out of this hatch Wednesday.

This is going to be fun lol.

these days we are hatching our AC cross chickens, i'm really curious on the outcome. What i'm surprised is that most of the chicks are black, only few like 3 are dark skinned and light feathered.
AC roo got 6 hens, one was big white meaty breed (something like cornish), one was cream legbar unfortuantely none of the eggs from her was fertile, black wyandotte, mixed breed brownish barred, grey barred, and blackbrownish.
I was expecting some of the chicks to be with some brown tint but nearly all of 'em are fully black. So i would say that coloured feathers will appear as they mature.
i'm gonna post pics asap they are all hatched should be today, we plan to put 'em under broody hens (we have two and they are isolated in nests siting on plastic eggs) I hope the hens, one is blue and second one is white, won't show any form of racism against black chicks.

Got a wild hair and put one of my Cemani pullets eggs in the incubator. It successfully hatched last night and is doing quite well. One problem... no clue who the father is. Did we get lucky and hatched a pure Cemani with a bunch of other roos running around? The chick is solid black. My son so kindly took a couple pictures of it for me.
48430A94-BD17-427A-B134-8FD21FF6EBA5.jpeg

12B7A67E-77F6-4240-B891-DF32A6EA2A31.jpeg

Mum
0657E81F-2160-4165-976E-86F560F47A5B.jpeg

Potential fathers...

Speck - Ayam Cemani
55FB4D83-77C9-499C-898E-A80EEB67BD58.jpeg

3F9E7886-526F-4852-AD41-5AC8297D0067.jpeg

Pavlovskaya (thinking no, due to no crest)
9EE83B7D-9345-4A36-A526-C378A3E2E86A.jpeg

BLRW
4B7EFB1B-6036-47F8-BAC9-9F8CF0C84397.jpeg

Golden Spitzhauben (no crest again)
D0010E1B-4084-4474-8A6D-54C745C3DBCD.jpeg

Mix breed big rooster
65417FA2-921F-46E0-9A40-EB459D8BDB30.jpeg

Barbezieux
9D1A69EC-A279-42C7-9A70-15504E5E1550.jpeg

What traits would pass down and what wouldn’t?

Got a wild hair and put one of my Cemani pullets eggs in the incubator. It successfully hatched last night and is doing quite well. One problem... no clue who the father is. Did we get lucky and hatched a pure Cemani with a bunch of other roos running around? The chick is solid black. My son so kindly took a couple pictures of it for me.
View attachment 2172687
View attachment 2172694

Mum
View attachment 2172679

Potential fathers...

Speck - Ayam Cemani
View attachment 2172684
View attachment 2172686

Pavlovskaya (thinking no, due to no crest)
View attachment 2172695

BLRW
View attachment 2172696

Golden Spitzhauben (no crest again)
View attachment 2172697

Mix breed big rooster
View attachment 2172698

Barbezieux
View attachment 2172699

What traits would pass down and what wouldn’t?
Does the chick have a single comb? If so I would think Ayam Cermani or Barbezieux as the other comb types are dominant i think. Black is a dominant feather colour so any chicken from that hen is most likely to be black. I think Dark skin is also dominant so that could be from mum. I guess if any bits of white skin show up then the Barbezieux is more likely, if not the Ayam Cermani. Of course any of the others could have recessive single comb genes too so this might not be that helpful...

Does the chick have a single comb? If so I would think Ayam Cermani or Barbezieux as the other comb types are dominant i think. Black is a dominant feather colour so any chicken from that hen is most likely to be black. I think Dark skin is also dominant so that could be from mum. I guess if any bits of white skin show up then the Barbezieux is more likely, if not the Ayam Cermani. Of course any of the others could have recessive single comb genes too so this might not be that helpful...
In addition, down color doesn't exactly determine final plumage. I suppose final color/pattern leaking through in adult feathering would be an indicator. Maybe earlobes too? And egg color as well if it's a pullet. Though I doubt OP knows what gene the mixed roo carries. Still, if she lays white eggs, that should narrow it down a little further...

I've never thought cornish x were very attractive...would love an all black version with black skin! You might be on to something! So excited to see what you produce. Was looking forward to the idea of hatching out some chicks next year from our b&w EE/AC roo but his gender identity crisis is still in full swing and this week, he's identifying more as a pullet. So I might not have that opportunity. Guess time will tell!

First egg landed today...on the left. 99.999% sure it's AC/Cornish Cross, as Johnny completely ignores the Barred Rock girls...which makes me assume they aren't sexually mature yet. He's CONSTANTLY on the Cornish Cross though, lol. In addition, that's pretty large for a new layer's first egg. Again indicating it's a Cornish Cross egg. The egg on the right is a dummy ceramic large egg from TSC...for comparison.

If I get a handful more by the end of the week, I'll incubate them!

105575162_566622524217389_1503043188669435422_n.jpg

First egg landed today...on the left. 99.999% sure it's AC/Cornish Cross, as Johnny completely ignores the Barred Rock girls...which makes me assume they aren't sexually mature yet. He's CONSTANTLY on the Cornish Cross though, lol. In addition, that's pretty large for a new layer's first egg. Again indicating it's a Cornish Cross egg. The egg on the right is a dummy ceramic large egg from TSC...for comparison.

View attachment 2208437
My suspected AC cross roo is a roo afterall. Found a home but am now having cold feet. So in love with his temperament and gentle way (so far) with the girls. Not food aggressive. Really want to keep him to get some chicks out of him and our brahma and other AC cross girls. Working on convincing husband!

View attachment 2208437
If I'm successful, we should compare outcomes! :)

Back
Top Bottom