Ayam cemani difference from svart hona??

I think I would keep both breeds separate. Breeders have worked hard to get where they are today. Interbreeding could set them back
I figured as much, but was just wondering, if say for example, I wanted a laying flock of them it may be fun to see what came of the cross if I didn't plan to breed them any further from the first mix. I totally respect everything the breeders have done and in no way would want to 'muddy the waters'

Last edited:
I did the same thing - ordered hatching eggs and chicks - had 11 out of 15 eggs hatch and 6 chicks kept them in the house for 3 months should start laying in few weeks but I have to get them separated. Hoping to offer for about half of what GFF & CF does since that is where they came from but I have notice leakage on one roo with a little light on lobes and one of my roos has the deep mulberry comb. Have to try to get them all sorted out and get to work. They are very friendly probably because they were house pets for 3 months - lol but they have voracious appetites.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that they were crossbred many years ago . The Svarts lay well, but the Cemani do not. I have 100ish juvenile/adult Svarts, but have never seen a true Cemani in person. (Really don't like the culling, but it's on the to do list) It would be interesting in having both to compare characteristics. I would be interested to know what the 2 breeds weigh and what the contrasting characteristics are.

If this is true then the lady I got svart hona and ayam cemani from was a bit wrong... all my cockerals have vary defined black combs(even in the direct sunlight). I was told the biggest difference in the two was the svart hona get a little bigger and only the ayam cemani will have a purplish color to their feathers( this happens when the chicken is 8-10 weeks old and is in direct light). Svart are known though to have greenish mouths and combs but I dont see it in mine so cant tell if this is true.

Back
Top Bottom