Ayam Cemani Eye Injury?

ericalee33

In the Brooder
May 30, 2023
Hi!

I noticed that my cockerel has an issue with one of his eyes the other day. I have no idea what could have happened to it, but one is kinda squinty and sunken in. His other eye is round and healthy looking. I’ve been using vetericyn ophthalmic gel in his eye. I was just curious if anyone else has seen this in with one of their birds and what could have caused it/will it heal?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 99864FC7-CF74-471A-9CBB-1D784A05B549.jpeg
    99864FC7-CF74-471A-9CBB-1D784A05B549.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 31
  • BAD98590-E963-46CC-B92E-37DE6DE747A9.jpeg
    BAD98590-E963-46CC-B92E-37DE6DE747A9.jpeg
    656.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 2A88E206-A552-4FDD-838C-9B365DDC97A2.jpeg
    2A88E206-A552-4FDD-838C-9B365DDC97A2.jpeg
    589.9 KB · Views: 6
He looks to have a gunky eye and a swollen eyelid. Do you see bubbles or foam? It could be a possible chronic respiratory infection, such as in Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.) I would rinse or flush his eye with some saline eye wash, and wipe out any pus or mucus. Then I would use Terramycin eye ointment, plain Neosporin, or antibiotic eye drops from the vet. Have you added any new birds lately? Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

He looks to have a gunky eye and a swollen eyelid. Do you see bubbles or foam? It could be a possible chronic respiratory infection, such as in Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.) I would rinse or flush his eye with some saline eye wash, and wipe out any pus or mucus. Then I would use Terramycin eye ointment, plain Neosporin, or antibiotic eye drops from the vet. Have you added any new birds lately? Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/2022-04/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
I haven’t seen any bubbles or foam. I will definitely get some saline for an eye wash, though! And read up on MG. I have not added any new birds. I got my whole flock at the same time as chicks.

Do you think that he could have been pecked near the eye? I would look inside his eye as you are are treating it for any dirt, foxtail, or foreign object.

https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/2022-04/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
Do you think that he could have been pecked near the eye? I would look inside his eye as you are are treating it for any dirt, foxtail, or foreign object.
He is a young cockerel working to establish dominance over his hens. I haven’t seen any of them mess with him, but I’m sure it’s possible one of them pecked at him. I’m going to keep treating him and hope for the best. He’s acting totally normal and active, but he is definitely favoring his good eye judging by the way he’s tilting his head.

Back
Top Bottom