Ayam Cemani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allyn,

Great photos! These are the birds you brought back from Cemani Farms? They have no red that I can pick up at all. I see nothing but black, black, black. They certainly appear to be a very different bird from the forms from the Greenfire/ToniMarie Astin group. They are sleeker, more steam-lined, slightly longer legged. ToniMarie has indicated that hers are definitely from Indonesia. There sure seems to be some different groups of birds.

Great looking ROOOO!!!

I just think its kind of funny that some people are making such a huge deal about this.
Black to the bone birds are common across Asia.

My only guess is that the ban on eggs is the reason why they are suddenly valuable. That plus some media attention.
Good luck selling the birds.
Can I ask, how did anyone get these bids legally?
This ban has been in place for many years.

Also the mortality rate is NOT 60% for humans. Maybe 3% MAYBE.....
The only people who died from avian flu were the ones who are susceptible to any flu, the very old, very young and otherwise immune compromised.
Honestly this flu is just a bunch of hullabloo
I think I read that they were imported from another breeder in another country - I want to say UK, but I can't remember... may even have been in this thread somewhere... I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong :D

I do not think that the morbidity/mortality of SARS is the issue. I have seen one case of Haunta in a healthy 28 year old male and it was catastrophic. This forum is not prepared to go there.

It is we as a people treat our competition in the search for the magical black bird. Perhaps it is an issue of ethics.

Randy,

I am sorry you didn't get to win the last auction, but it was fun to watch. :) So you are in lock down Yipee!

Randy,

I am sorry you didn't get to win the last auction, but it was fun to watch. :) So you are in lock down Yipee!
LOL It was fun and final had to stop, I wished her best of luck with the her eggs and we have talk back and forth about the breed. She isn't a member on BYC and hopefully she will join and enjoy this site with the rest of us.

I don't do lock downs, I keep turnings eggs and doing what I normal do until I see them starting to hatch, then I leave the eggs alone. I never have had any trouble with hatching eggs by doing this. I will say that I did try twice doing the lock down thing that I kept hearing people saying they would doing and had the worst hatches ever, so I just stick with what works best for me. But I am ready to see them and hopefully all will go well. I just candle them again today and the 12 eggs still looking good.

I'm afraid that some people here don't understand these are actually Voodo birds. They cause people to become egocentric, boastful, Bombastic, Aggressive and be willing to spend large sums of money. Obviously there is a mystical mojoe emanating an Ebony energy field, if you will. And let's face it black is beautiful. Black power to the chicken !!! And it's **** time for little reverse discrimination. White Bresse to the back of the bus.

Last edited:
Allyn,

Great photos! These are the birds you brought back from Cemani Farms? They have no red that I can pick up at all. I see nothing but black, black, black. They certainly appear to be a very different bird from the forms from the Greenfire/ToniMarie Astin group. They are sleeker, more steam-lined, slightly longer legged. ToniMarie has indicated that hers are definitely from Indonesia.  There sure seems to be some different groups of birds. 

Great looking ROOOO!!!

Being here in Java has been such an interesting experience. They really really love their chickens. They are devoted to the many different breeds actually live with them. Tons of trophies And weekly contests with large financial rewards , a very proud people. There is quite a bit of difference in the type with the Cemani. The strange thing is over here some of the ones that are genetically what we would consider inferior they actually like for ceremonies. Different cultures different ways of thinking. But every time they show me a bird they turn it over and show me a clear picture of the vent boasting of it's black nature. Next It's opening the chicken beak to show the tongue and that it's black, very black the best quality birds in their eyes all have very black tongues. There should be no red showing, through some of my birds to have a little red. The ones over here tend to just get a little bit gray with age which seems to be normal and accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom