Ayam Cemani

Status
Not open for further replies.
sunsetvalley,

With the exception of the feathering on the legs, these birds look identical to the Birchen Marans that I got from a GFF auction. If you click on my username and look at my post "Auction mix - now what are they", you will see what I mean. They even have the white feathers on the wings and are about the same age.

Ironically they either accidentally included an Ayam Cemani or it was included as a "packing peanut".

Last edited:
OK I see that some people need to be educated when it comes to the Cemoni. This is Toni Marie. For the sake of knowing everyone Yes you can get a acassional white skin chick(about 5%). NO it does not mean they are mixed or cross with what ever.. And yes they can and do have white on them as chicks like every other black bird. Yes you can get diff degrees of skin color. You can get anything from a purpleish color, to black,and to grey like. The best Quality ones like the guy at cemoni farms says those are the blackest black ones. he also has regular quality witch is the ones I have but I also have the best quality ones he talks about. I have in know way sold anything crossed. They are " as is" when I got them. They are a land race fowl and are not breed for anything else but meat color.There fore the diff sizes. The blackest of black ones have been breed for many generations. So if anyone has any other questions you can ask me. Everyone in the Poultry world can tell you I have always breed and helped many many people with birds and most of the time I never even charged for them. So is there anything you want to talk to me about? Im here. I think people should know everything about the birds..Most people have the misconception that chicks are all black..NOT some like I said are black and white chick down and even have A few Juvie white feathers as chicks but molt it out by adulthood. Now that they are here to stay us Americans will do all kinds of things to them to Americanize them..Thats to bad. Like I was saying before they are a land race fowl. I have had these birds for about 6 years now. I do try to breed from only the darkest birds but you will get a degree of darkness... If you want to know something just ask. Many thanks. Toni-Marie. PS Sunvally the chicks in the pic are tipical Cemoni chicks although most seem to be darker..
I don't know about any of the other... That is a beautiful beautiful bird!

I will post some pics of mine soon as I can get it all figured out. But a couple of mine did have just a tad white down when hatched but are turning black and I had no white skin color or any other color but black and their beaks are also black. I think Toni-Marie has raised these long enough to know what she is talking about. And even Firefarm farms does not guaranteed that you will get 100% black skin color.

OK I see that some people need to be educated when it comes to the Cemoni. This is Toni Marie. For the sake of knowing everyone Yes you can get a acassional white skin chick(about 5%). NO it does not mean they are mixed or cross with what ever.. And yes they can and do have white on them as chicks like every other black bird. Yes you can get diff degrees of skin color. You can get anything from a purpleish color, to black,and to grey like. The best Quality ones like the guy at cemoni farms says those are the blackest black ones. he also has regular quality witch is the ones I have but I also have the best quality ones he talks about. I have in know way sold anything crossed. They are " as is" when I got them. They are a land race fowl and are not breed for anything else but meat color.There fore the diff sizes. The blackest of black ones have been breed for many generations. So if anyone has any other questions you can ask me. Everyone in the Poultry world can tell you I have always breed and helped many many people with birds and most of the time I never even charged for them. So is there anything you want to talk to me about? Im here. I think people should know everything about the birds..Most people have the misconception that chicks are all black..NOT some like I said are black and white chick down and even have A few Juvie white feathers as chicks but molt it out by adulthood. Now that they are here to stay us Americans will do all kinds of things to them to Americanize them..Thats to bad. Like I was saying before they are a land race fowl. I have had these birds for about 6 years now. I do try to breed from only the darkest birds but you will get a degree of darkness... If you want to know something just ask. Many thanks. Toni-Marie. PS Sunvally the chicks in the pic are tipical Cemoni chicks although most seem to be darker..
Good Post Toni! I will be marking this for future reference. I don't claim to be an expert on breeding these birds. You certainly have more experience than I do. I have only owned the Svarts for about a year and a half. Everyone is still learning here (including me.) Great looking Rooster also!
Your Friend, Bryce

I will post some pics of mine soon as I can get it all figured out. But a couple of mine did have just a tad white down when hatched but are turning black and I had no white skin color or any other color but black and their beaks are also black. I think Toni-Marie has raised these long enough to know what she is talking about. And even Firefarm farms does not guaranteed that you will get 100% black skin color.
Sorry I meant Greenfire Farms! sorry about that. My typing got ahead of my thinking.

Wow!! He is a very nice looking bird!! I wasn't saying they were mixed. I had heard of them with white toes before but I didn't know they could come with so much white. I have never seen that before. If getting white only happens 5% of the time, why did I get two of them with over 30% white? Have you gotten this much white before? Does the white go away after the first year?

Folks, I was shocked to see all this.... Most every black fowl in the world will hatch black and white. I get this same mess every time a new person buys Sumatra eggs from me, they all hatch black and white, and I have to educate the buyers on genetics behind extended black breeds.
Toni Marie is a very dear friend of mine, and I have seen her birds a dozen times personally.
She's one of the most respected breeders of rare fowl in the world and has written books for educating people on stuff like this. She operates numerous forums on various breeds and genetics, and only trys to help folks. She virtually never sells anything, rather gives them away to help others.
The breeds I'm seeing everyone GUESS at what may be in these birds, well take it from me, she don't even have them on her property, so try again.
All her birds are under stick pen selection and never moved around where a mix breeding could contaminate the gene pool.
She has worked with the cemani longer than any one else in the country. Green fire and all them are just lagging behind, yet try to claim to be the only source. She has had them for many many years just as a personal breed in her collection.
Her birds are pure, but very very rare. So any time you get into new breeds, it's often a learning experience for you... Well she's the teacher. Listen to what she has to say, you may end up learning something. I promise you she knows more about them than anyone else on the forum. And from what I have been reading, the hatch rates for the eggs sound great. You have to remember any time eggs get shipped, we as sellers have no control over it. We can pack to the best of our ability, but they PO will do all sorts of things to them. That's the risk you take when buying eggs, just remember that in general. Also I have seen prices thrown around here too, remember, yall bid that, she listed them for $50 I think?? Where they go from there is in the buyers hands, she has no control over that.
Sounds like she has done all she can on her end, even insured them for everyone sounds like?
Try to listen to what she says. Give the birds time to mature, you'll be shocked at the changes they go threw, then as they mature look at what you ended up with...

Personally, I have nothing gained or lost here, but I know the breeder, the birds, and her reputation and breeding skills.... Think it's safe to say, she knows what she is talking about....
Learn all you can about the breed you now own, and enjoy them, I personally think once they grow out, you're going to really like what you in fact have

Wow!! He is a very nice looking bird!! I wasn't saying they were mixed. I had heard of them with white toes before but I didn't know they could come with so much white. I have never seen that before. If getting white only happens 5% of the time, why did I get two of them with over 30% white? Have you gotten this much white before? Does the white go away after the first year?
the percentages are just an average. Like usually you get 50% males and 50% females
of black to blue breeding give 50% of each color.

It doesn't literally mean you get that ratio every time.

and yes the white goes away on them as they enter into their adult feathering.
most all black birds hatch this way. The cemani usually have some both ways from what I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom