Azolla or duckweed as feeds for poultry birds?

CJ_PH

Chirping
Mar 26, 2021
Hi Fellow Backyard Farmers, has anyone tried processing azolla or duckweed to feed to quails, chickens, or ducks? If so, any tips on how to properly process the duckweed or azolla?

I have no personal experience, but I'm sure it's safe for those birds to eat those plants fresh and green.

So I would just put a handful of the green plants in each pen, and see if they like it that way. If they like it that way, you won't have to bother processing it at all!

I have no personal experience, but I'm sure it's safe for those birds to eat those plants fresh and green.

So I would just put a handful of the green plants in each pen, and see if they like it that way. If they like it that way, you won't have to bother processing it at all!
Makes sense, haven't really thought of trying that cause I am still in the planning stage and currently do not have any of those 2 protein rich water plants

Makes sense, haven't really thought of trying that cause I am still in the planning stage and currently do not have any of those 2 protein rich water plants
I like to try the simplest thing first, when possible. No point in doing something complicated if you don't have to!

Of course, if you grow the plants in summer and store some for the winter, you would have to do some kind of processing--maybe dry it like hay, or freeze it, or make it into silage, or any other method of storing green stuff without spoilage.

I like to try the simplest thing first, when possible. No point in doing something complicated if you don't have to!

Of course, if you grow the plants in summer and store some for the winter, you would have to do some kind of processing--maybe dry it like hay, or freeze it, or make it into silage, or any other method of storing green stuff without spoilage.
Only 2 seasons here in the Philippines, wet and super hot. Hahahaha.

Yeah, I get what you mean, thanks, will be ordering azolla soon for cultivation.

Aloha CJ_PH,
I have azolla in my water garden pots and my chickens love it. It totally replenishes itself within a couple of days, so I basically have a never ending supply of FREE green goodness that is rich in protein for my chickens. I simply gather it by the handful and plop it down in their run- no processing of any kind. I give the equivalent of one handful per bird, every other day or so. The little bite size pieces of azolla are perfect for them. It’s a great, healthy supplement to their feed.👍🏼

Attachments

• 9321E2F9-0B30-41A6-9E98-B98DAFF9BCDC.jpeg
    9321E2F9-0B30-41A6-9E98-B98DAFF9BCDC.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 4
  • 6726BA00-6BD2-48C5-8445-D67D432EDAF5.jpeg
    6726BA00-6BD2-48C5-8445-D67D432EDAF5.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom