Aztec Ducks!

@HeatherKellyB

here are two of my male. Forgive the mudd as my duck pen area flooded out last weekend and the ducks just loved it all.

B0D330C0-615D-47D0-878B-9C7D31E569AE.jpeg 6512349C-2B16-46AB-89E3-6B9DA13FF0CF.jpeg

How much trouble was it and how bad was the cost because I am looking at getting it next year

It's free! I've done it for several years now. You can choose to just be Pullorum/Typhoid certified or also do AI. I do both because a lot of states require both for shipping birds and showing now.

Pullorum/Typhoid testing is once a year, AI is every six months.

It's a little bit of a pain to catch all the birds and then the testing takes about an hour for when you're doing P/T and AI on the same day, and about a half hour for AI only day. They test up to 30 birds. Waterfowl don't get P/T tested, only AI tested.

AI testing is a swab in the throat for land fowl, and a swab in the vent for waterfowl. P/T testing requires a little blood, so they pluck the feathers in a small spot under the wing and then poke them to get a drop of blood to use.

This is all specific to NY/VT, for anyone else reading. Different states do it differently, but NY and VT do it this way.

It's free! I've done it for several years now. You can choose to just be Pullorum/Typhoid certified or also do AI. I do both because a lot of states require both for shipping birds and showing now.

Pullorum/Typhoid testing is once a year, AI is every six months.

It's a little bit of a pain to catch all the birds and then the testing takes about an hour for when you're doing P/T and AI on the same day, and about a half hour for AI only day. They test up to 30 birds. Waterfowl don't get P/T tested, only AI tested.

AI testing is a swab in the throat for land fowl, and a swab in the vent for waterfowl. P/T testing requires a little blood, so they pluck the feathers in a small spot under the wing and then poke them to get a drop of blood to use.

This is all specific to NY/VT, for anyone else reading. Different states do it differently, but NY and VT do it this way.
That’s so awesome to hear was certainly sounding much more complicated when I read it.

Oh ok, awesome! So is a Aztec duck like the call ducks? Or...?
The breed was made using Call Ducks and Mallards. They have bills and necks that are longer than Calls which means they're easier to hatch. That was one of the main goals that Mr. Holderread had in mind with this breed. There are two colors, the porcelain and blue pearl. I believe some are the same color as a Mallard (or "grey" which is the color equivalent in Call Ducks) but if I'm not mistaken, that was because of trying to get back to the correct body type for Aztec's that involved breeding Mallards back in. My porcelain Aztec, Diva, is not very loud. She's able to quack like Calls, but she's pretty quiet. Blue Belle, the blue pearl Aztec is just as chatty as Call Ducks and is very chatty. They are between the size of Calls and Mallards. They're really sweet ducks.

The breed was made using Call Ducks and Mallards. They have bills and necks that are longer than Calls which means they're easier to hatch. That was one of the main goals that Mr. Holderread had in mind with this breed. There are two colors, the porcelain and blue pearl. I believe some are the same color as a Mallard (or "grey" which is the color equivalent in Call Ducks) but if I'm not mistaken, that was because of trying to get back to the correct body type for Aztec's that involved breeding Mallards back in. My porcelain Aztec, Diva, is not very loud. She's able to quack like Calls, but she's pretty quiet. Blue Belle, the blue pearl Aztec is just as chatty as Call Ducks and is very chatty. They are between the size of Calls and Mallards. They're really sweet ducks.
Oh wow!!! That’s really cool! Where did you get yours from?

Yep! @Knighstar679 sold me some eggs and was wonderful throughout everything, including my many questions. I really like my Aztec's and look forward to growing my flock this Spring 😍
They are so nice. I have three calls to widen the gene pool. I have one grey, blue fawn and pastel so they should be nice producers when I finally get them to be fertilized for the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom