Azure Blue

I spoke with Frey’s about my colouring and thy said they can have black spots and also black feathers as mature birds.

One of mine has grey legs also!

I expect to have eggs any day now. The birds are 19 weeks, I have 2 red sex links that are squatting, 2 Azures are very red and 1 squatting the other won’t let me near her but she has the reddest comb and wattles of all the birds. I’ll post pictures when the eggs start.

@Bown
Well it happened this morning. Azure Blue egg.

Attachments

• AEC8BC5D-2575-4264-9963-A3E2130CE470.jpeg
    AEC8BC5D-2575-4264-9963-A3E2130CE470.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 47
Finally the last Azure started laying. She is the one with great legs and beak. She seems a bit larger than the other 3. She is a month behind her sisters and as far as I can tell has produced quite a few shell less eggs. she lays blue eggs as the others. For the most are the blue eggs are good quality. Yolks are very Riche, dark and flavourful.
Three of the Azures are More relaxed now that they are laying but still flighty. One is a psycho and won’t come closer than 10 feet. I had to catch her one time and that traumatized her. She is the top bird but stays away from me.
My brown layers are producing beautiful ColourEd eggs as well.

Attachments

• 00177DAD-4AB1-41B0-B6A5-E97B3576122C.jpeg
    00177DAD-4AB1-41B0-B6A5-E97B3576122C.jpeg
    468 KB · Views: 43
  • 4324AEE2-35C4-4D95-BD69-B58C90DDC080.jpeg
    4324AEE2-35C4-4D95-BD69-B58C90DDC080.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 36
Turns out one of my azures is a rooster. The wattles are huge and his comb is three times the size of the other two ladies.

If bred together what do you think the outcome would be? Do they breed true or am I misunderstanding what that term means?

Turns out one of my azures is a rooster. The wattles are huge and his comb is three times the size of the other two ladies.

If bred together what do you think the outcome would be? Do they breed true or am I misunderstanding what that term means?

Can you post a picture? My hens have HUGE combs, I’d like to see a few pictures of him.
Try calling Frey’s Hatchery in Ontario they should be able to answer that.
Did the hens start laying yet? I’d like to see pictures of him with the other Asures too.

Last edited:
Can you post a picture? My hens have HUGE combs, I’d like to see a few pictures of him.
Did the hens start laying yet? I’d like to see pictures of him with the other Asures too.
Because they are mixed breed I hope that maybe it’s just the different traits of the two breeds. One might have larger wattles and comb?

I’ll try to get a picture today, they are pretty hens but impossible to get near!

As for laying, they just turned 19 weeks. So any day now I hope! They are slightly less terrified this past week and their combs are turning a brighter red vs the pale reddish pink they’ve been all along.

Because they are mixed breed I hope that maybe it’s just the different traits of the two breeds. One might have larger wattles and comb?

I’ll try to get a picture today, they are pretty hens but impossible to get near!

As for laying, they just turned 19 weeks. So any day now I hope! They are slightly less terrified this past week and their combs are turning a brighter red vs the pale reddish pink they’ve been all along.

You might be surprised I think they will be hens. Each one of mine started laying at different weeks. The comb and wattles started turning red then within a week the comb tripled in size then they lai. All four of mine followed that same pattern. The one with the grey lags and beak was the last to lay. I believe it was like 5-6 weeks later than her sisters. The 2 Bavarian Browns (sex links) both started in 24 hours.
I‘m actually worried about the combs being so huge getting frost bit. I have the run cover with plastic with good ventilation.

Here are some photos.
Here is the big comb and the little one.
36426396-A6A5-41B2-B43C-E1DDD9E0964F.png

Small comb
16C33372-DDB2-4820-A46C-E741D31C0D09.png

Big comb
C3F992D8-465C-4202-96B2-57A4021D9BA3.png

09F5B804-6C74-4015-8842-2CE4F1F381FE.jpeg

The size difference doesn’t look nearly as bad in photos. Im probably just nitpicking.

Back
Top Bottom