B/B/S cochins

jossanne

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 11, 2008
Gila, New Mexico
I have ten 10-day-old bantam cochins, and I have a question about color. They're feathering out fairly well on their wings and feet. Some are obviously blue. Some have blackish and white feathers in their wings, but mostly dark. Even the two that I am sure are splash seem to have more dark wing feathers coming in than white.

So can blue babies start with white in their wing feathers? Can splash babies have mostly dark wings? Can someone explain how these colors feather in? I just don't know who's blue, who's black and who's splash.

My camera seems to be flashing too much these days. I can't get good close-ups, but maybe these will help.
13038_pb010013.jpg

13038_pb010019.jpg

Hmm. I don't know, I would like to have the answer to that as well. I just hatched out my first blue cochins! I am hoping for mostly blues and am working towards having a predominately blue flock.

Quote:
These are my first blues, so I'm obviously not an expert, but I've been reading a lot on here. If you want all blues, you breed black and splash together. I think that's the only way to have a predominantly blue flock. They say the blue color is nicer, though, if you breed blue to blue. You only get about half blues, but their color stays nicer.

Looks like your babies are either blue or black, with lots of breeds that have black and blue chicks will grown in a couple white wingfeathers which molt out with the next set of feather.

First time I hatched some black aussies years ago I was freaking out because they all had 4-5 white feather on each wing and some even had white feathers coming in on the chest, but after the next molt they were all black.

When I was showing Blue Orphs, this was back before you heard the word "splash" It was common to get black and or white feathers that would go away after the first molt. Remember that all blue chickens have a root with the Andalusian, and no blue strain will always produce blue. You will always have a few blacks or even a white in there on occation. Its normal.
You really don't know what you have untill they molt.. sorry..

I know this one is blue:
13038_pb030004.jpg

I think this one is splash, but look how dark his wings are coming in:
13038_pb030006.jpg

I don't know what this one is. It's pretty dark on top, with a lot of yellow underneath, and is feathering in mostly dark, with some white:
13038_pb030016.jpg

I keep wondering if they sent a few mottled!

I thought one of my birds was mottled... but it all eventually grew out. Possibly it has mottled genes hiding in there somewhere... maybe
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom