B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenmum, Jan 4, 2009.

1. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. DaveK

DaveK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Hey There, the "DarkMan" cometh to BYC. And he looks great. Thanks Karen. Kind of hate to lift a photo from a book but this lets so many others see him. As I have experienced and understand the color my own answer to your question is basically yes. I wonder how the striping is passed along and/or lost. Not sure it's part of the melanizing factors but I don't know. Still more mystery.

3. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    [​IMG]

Well, I finally got to weighing this pair. The pullet weighs 5 3/4lbs, which is 1/4lb below standard weight. The cockerel weighs 8lbs on the money, which is precisely standard. His confrere in the neighboring pen leads in the weight category--a cockerel reaching 9 1/4lbs (not pictured). I'm glad of the weights; now it's time to go at type full steam ahead.

4. Jwhip

Jwhip Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    The male has a excellant head.

5. RedBugPoultry

RedBugPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Jasper Co., S.C.
    I love your birds! [​IMG]

6. 007medic

007medic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Reading through and lookin' round. Dave those white Dorkings are about beautiful enough to tempt me away from my colored Dorking dreams...I do think that old pic of the Dorking male exemplifies the body type/shape I'll be shooting for.... Thus far I've yet to see any Dorkings of any variety that have the placement of their legs like that fella does. To illustrate what I'm seeing, draw an imaginary line up and down across that fella's breast, then one across where his vent would be. Next imagine a horizontal line along the line of the back and another along the line of the keel. Do you see that rectangle? Now look at the placement of that fella's legs on his body- if that rectangle you imagined earlier had hash-marks like a football field, his legs would fall somewhere about the 55-60 yard line. Look at the way he's standing and how the placement of the legs affects his balance bringing the breast forward and flattening out the back to just a slight slope and giving it a longer visual line. Look at his shoulders and imagine the heart girth on that bad-boy and look at how consistently broad he appears from the cape and through the saddle almost to the break of the tail. Dave I'm really heartened to hear the pullets and cockerels of your flock are doing so well making size. I don't know squat about rose combs but they sure look elegant on your birds
    J

7. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    I agree the shape of the guy in the old photo isn't what i'm used to seeing with my guys, but color aside, that's almost a mirror image of the whites that YellowHouseFarm has... and I'm wondering if that isn't more along the "historic" body type hasn't evolved over the years to what we have now... I like both, actually, and reading the SOP, i think both fit with how it's described.

8. DaveK

DaveK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Karen, I understand and agree with what 007 is seeing and saying but I'm confused by your last post. Are you saying that your own birds don't mirror the type of "DarkMan" or the YHF whites? Long, broad and deep, fore and aft is what we should be seeing. As was noted by 007 when everything falls into place there isn't the impression of very definite upright carriage either. No shallow or high breasts and none of that business of having everything in front of the legs.

9. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    ok maybe i mis-read that. i thought he was saying the 'darkman' looked too upright, or the leg placement was wrong.

ok re-read it, now i get it... sorry been a long day

my own guys are long and low, hubby calls them 'low riders' LOL. i don't have a good pic of the big guy, except this one, and one of the girls...
    and yeah i know he's got bad feet... that's a goal for down the road.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  10. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    ok i give up... i tried editing to say i misread 007medic's post, but the edit won't show the changes. even tho if i go back to re-edit, it's there. so if you see this twice, ... oh well.

it's been a long day and i'm off to bed. but the chickies are all in their new home (lets hope they continue going back LOL)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by