B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenmum, Jan 4, 2009.

1. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Those are some of the best looking dorkings I have ever seen.

2. poultrypalacewhidbey

poultrypalacewhidbey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2012
    Whidbey Island, WA
    I'll second that. On overall type Yellow House Farm has the best birds that I have sen in pictures or in person.

3. jgervais

jgervais Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
    I'm not having good luck with my first venture in Dorking Breeding... I lost my silver grey hen to a hawk (presumably) 3 weeks ago, and now my poor pretty red dorking is resting in my entrance way suffering from an internally laid egg. I can't think of anything to help her, I think this is usually a terminal problem for chickens and Im sure today is her last day.

SO, I have one colored hen left and a black one. :-/
    Not real sure I'm going to pursue this as much as I thought I would.

4. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    I'm sorry about your misfortune. There is, however, no shame in starting again. We all have or will. There may be others here with stock to share, and we may be selling started chicks. Chin up!!! [​IMG]

PS: Perhaps you'd like your second start better than your first. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. dorkings

dorkings Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    New Hampshire
    jgervais,
    I too am very sorry to hear about your hen. We lost one of our Silver Gray hens last week and it is hard but, we are really enjoying the breed and plan to press on and let a couple hens hatch this spring. I hope as of this post your girl is still alive and able to recover [​IMG]

6. dorkings

dorkings Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I agree those are some pretty looking white Dorkings. I have never seen white so thanks for posting.

7. DaveK

DaveK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    2 | Started: Nov 10, 2009 at 7:41 pm | Last Post: Oct 15, 2011 at 8:30 pm
    rtroxel

Rudy Troxel http://sites.google.com/site/triangleacrespoultry/ I am not going to say anything negative about the YHF whites. I like them and am terrifically impressed. Folks have no idea how bad the whites have been for a long time.I do think that for overall consistent type the Roger Tice reds which are pictured on Rudy's webpages are the best living examples of Dorking type I can find. I post a link to his site without hesitation as Joe from YHF has expressed the same sentiments about those reds in his own postings. Long, low, wide and deep. Like tugboats. [​IMG]

8. poultrypalacewhidbey

poultrypalacewhidbey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2012
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Thanks Dave for posting the link to Rudy's website, I had not seen a pictures of any Roger Tice birds before, although I had heard they were big and wide.

9. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    Thanks, Dave, and I agree. I think that the Roger Tice birds are a couple seasons ahead of ours. It's great to see Dorkings coming around. I think that in another few years there will be some rather impressive birds.

10. jgervais

jgervais Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
    Thanks for the nice words. My husband was kind enough to relieve her of her suffering, she was going downhill fast. Chicken math has a way of getting you through the hard times, I might have a lead on 3-4 Dorking hens I can add in replacement. Maybe all is not lost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by