B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Those are some of the best looking dorkings I have ever seen.

Well, I finally got to weighing this pair. The pullet weighs 5 3/4lbs, which is 1/4lb below standard weight. The cockerel weighs 8lbs on the money, which is precisely standard. His confrere in the neighboring pen leads in the weight category--a cockerel reaching 9 1/4lbs (not pictured). I'm glad of the weights; now it's time to go at type full steam ahead.

I'm not having good luck with my first venture in Dorking Breeding... I lost my silver grey hen to a hawk (presumably) 3 weeks ago, and now my poor pretty red dorking is resting in my entrance way suffering from an internally laid egg. I can't think of anything to help her, I think this is usually a terminal problem for chickens and Im sure today is her last day.

SO, I have one colored hen left and a black one. :-/
Not real sure I'm going to pursue this as much as I thought I would.

I'm sorry about your misfortune. There is, however, no shame in starting again. We all have or will. There may be others here with stock to share, and we may be selling started chicks. Chin up!!!
hugs.gif

PS: Perhaps you'd like your second start better than your first.
wink.png

Last edited:
jgervais,
I too am very sorry to hear about your hen. We lost one of our Silver Gray hens last week and it is hard but, we are really enjoying the breed and plan to press on and let a couple hens hatch this spring. I hope as of this post your girl is still alive and able to recover
hugs.gif

2 | Started: Nov 10, 2009 at 7:41 pm | Last Post: Oct 15, 2011 at 8:30 pm
rtroxel

Rudy Troxel http://sites.google.com/site/triangleacrespoultry/ I am not going to say anything negative about the YHF whites. I like them and am terrifically impressed. Folks have no idea how bad the whites have been for a long time.I do think that for overall consistent type the Roger Tice reds which are pictured on Rudy's webpages are the best living examples of Dorking type I can find. I post a link to his site without hesitation as Joe from YHF has expressed the same sentiments about those reds in his own postings. Long, low, wide and deep. Like tugboats.
smile.png

Thanks, Dave, and I agree. I think that the Roger Tice birds are a couple seasons ahead of ours. It's great to see Dorkings coming around. I think that in another few years there will be some rather impressive birds.

jgervais,
I too am very sorry to hear about your hen. We lost one of our Silver Gray hens last week and it is hard but, we are really enjoying the breed and plan to press on and let a couple hens hatch this spring. I hope as of this post your girl is still alive and able to recover
hugs.gif

Thanks for the nice words. My husband was kind enough to relieve her of her suffering, she was going downhill fast. Chicken math has a way of getting you through the hard times, I might have a lead on 3-4 Dorking hens I can add in replacement. Maybe all is not lost.

Back
Top Bottom