B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Quote: as for the spiral colored bands, they come in 10 or 12 different colors (ebay & southern states) and i find i can usually band the chicks by 4-5 weeks old and that 5th toe is handy for keeping them from falling off (on most chicks). till then i use zip ties to identify hatch groups or varieties.

theoretically you could put as many as you wanted on each leg (up to the length of the leg LOL) but i tend to use them in 1 or 2 band groups. and if i cull, the bands come back off and go in the washer or dishwasher and used again later. my method is 2 bands on the left leg, top for hatch group bottom for individual bird ID... until i decide who i'm keeping they just have hatch group bands. i add the second color later once i've decided who stays/goes.

oh and i use size 11 or 12 i think, on the keyring style plastic bands... i don't bother switching as they grow. just zip ties big enough to allow growth but not fall off each time, until their feet are practically huge. LOL

Last edited:
Hi Dorking breeders

I have been looking for information on Dick Horstmans Red Dorkings. So far this is what I have found. Dick Horstman got his Red Dorking stock from Superior Farm. Superior got their stock from Gene Patterson. I talked to Gene Pattetson and he told me he was a breeder of the Dorkings for over 30 years and during that time he got his stock from Craig Russell, Jeannie Peters, Leonard Offutt and several others. If anyone has more information on this please post it.

Thank You dorking1974

Hi Dorking breeders

I have been looking for information on Dick Horstmans Red Dorkings. So far this is what I have found. Dick Horstman got his Red Dorking stock from Superior Farm. Superior got their stock from Gene Patterson. I talked to Gene Pattetson and he told me he was a breeder of the Dorkings for over 30 years and during that time he got his stock from Craig Russell, Jeannie Peters, Leonard Offutt and several others. If anyone has more information on this please post it.

Thank You dorking1974
yup that sounds about right. and i think rudy troxel got his from roger tice lines... i have a roo that's a combination of horstman/tice, and is very nice.

once i have my breeding pens done and everyone laying reliably... right now i've got my 3 red girls, 2 sg and 1 colored in with my best red roo, but the only one laying right now is my colored girl 'tannish'... (my dilute girl, really)

all the wire and wood i need to finish the first 2 pens and 1 duplex house (split down the middle to house 2 groups of birds).

slow going but the weather hasn't been too cooperative, and the days it's been nice, i've had to do other things away from home. go figure. i've only been planning this since november!

Back
Top Bottom