B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Thanks Karen. What color is the Wyandotte that you posted you are trying to achieve in Dorkings? I assume it's "colored" in the Dorkings. Where does the color originate? Thanks.

Last edited:
jim parker was the only one i've heard had them. you can contact him at the dorking breeder's club website.

Last I saw, he's not got any until later this year. I better get moving if he's got 'em available, now
smile.png

Thanks Karen. What color is the Wyandotte that you posted you are trying to achieve in Dorkings? I assume it's "colored" in the Dorkings. Where does the color originate? Thanks.
that's the basis of my project is to duplicate that color... i'm trying to find the breeder who posted that (think he's in the netherlands) and see what he really is, genetically.

i'm thinking i heard he's dilute, but not sure which variety (1 is dominant, 2 are recessive). I have a dominant dilute hen that also has the melanizing gene, and 1 of her daughters by a red roo (looks just like her without the Ml gene), but i have yet to get a roo to match. had one but lost him to a oredator. so i've got a bunch of her eggs in the 'bator now. hoping fertility is good on her end.

eta: i don't believe it's the typical colored that everyone's used to seeing, but it's what i believe the sop calls for, so i'm trying to reproduce it and see what i get.

Last edited:
you should be able to. about as well as with the silver greys... at least i'm ok at doing it with my babies... got some due to hatch tomorrow and thurs. dorking/mix/ee/mutt/??? LOL the dorking roos were more active than the others when they were all loose, but some eggs were also orpington or wyandotte (not to mention the obvious blue eggs) so no telling what i'll get from this batch of about 18.

the next bunch due the 5th were all dorking roos, but again mixed hens. (and 8 swedish flower eggs too) then the next batch of nearly 60 were all dorking roos and i tried to separate out the dorking eggs from the rest. the whites were easy, the light pinks ok, but i think a couple dorking girls lay a ligth brown too, which may be mixed with orp or wyandotte. 20 of them are EE dorking crosses. they sell well for me at least. i've got a waiting list for pullets. (they like the size and blue eggs). but all i really want are pure dorks.

How do you tell the boys from the girls?
typically the wider more distinct markings on the head are pullets, lighter, narrower or with more uneven edges are cockerels... in the reds i've noticed the pullets have a darker edging to their head markings as well. ignoring the cochin on the right, with no head markings, the majority of these chicks were pullets. the one at the top, middle was a cockerel, as was the lighter one to the right. these were my sandhill colored and red chicks from last year. of 27 chicks, i had 6 roos total.
sometimes there's an 'inbetween' one, like the one at the middle bottom, with kind of a medium sized head marking. sometimes it's debatable which way they'll go. that one happenned to be a hen too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom