B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Many qualities are often touted as being a breed quality, but in reality only exist if they are an active part of a breeding program. One such quality is egg size. I have seen a few different egg types in Dorkings. Our whites lay a rounish egg with an antique cream shell. After the early pullet stage, the eggs average out as "large" on the egg scale. When it's time in your breeding program to select for egg size, you can. It's pretty straight forward.

Edited to make up for my ridiculous typing errors....

Last edited:
i think, with increasing body size, egg size will follow along naturally... my reds and coloreds are tending to lay a more pinkish colored egg, while my sg's are laying an 'almost white' egg...

i think, with increasing body size, egg size will follow along naturally... my reds and coloreds are tending to lay a more pinkish colored egg, while my sg's are laying an 'almost white' egg...
I am seeing a mixed bag with my reds here in egg color and size. A few lay a very white eggs and maybe at some point I will try to focus on that. The bigger girls could be laying the larger size eggs but I am hoping more with age I might get bigger eggs. From raising game chickens I found my girls laid small eggs almost the whole first season and the next cycle their egg size improved. I can only hope....

My CD's lay medium pale creamy eggs with a touch of pink to them. So pale that in the wrong light, they look white. I have noticed that they have gotten lighter as they have aged and size has become consistant. It is easy to decern the pointed / round end. My SG's lay dang near white medium size and have since the first lay. I only had one pullet size egg from these girls. It is harder to decern which is the pointed end. So far, they are averaging 4-5 eggs a week each which is mote than I expected from them. I'm happy with them!

Back
Top Bottom