B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

I’ve been following this thread for a while now and am so glad to see so much enthusiasm for Dorkings! I am new to this breed but not to raising chickens for preservation. I want to concentrate on the LF SC Red Dorking. I am working with stock from 2 different lines, with the hopes of adding a third line next spring or fall.
I have had some trouble with these birds, starting out, and am learning just how different two lines of the same breed of chicken can really be. Temperament has been a BIG issue with stock I got from one breeder. Also, the hens are not laying as well as hoped and most are not making weight at maturity. There is so much work to be done on this breed to get it back up to SOP & the historical descriptions that are out there. Is there anyone here that has had their Dorkings in excess of 10 years? Would love to hear how you have worked with your birds over the years. What are some things other breeders need to know that are unique to this breed?

Quote: well, when i got him and his brother, they were banded with numbers 1 and 2... it just worked out that way. i lost thing1 to the gapeworm/whatever right after i dewormed everyone but this beauty has thrived. and yeah it's not dignified, but i don't want my roos getting swelled heads you know. LOL
my roosters are Big Guy (sg) Junior (sg) New guy (sg) big red (red) thing2 (red) bigun (blrw) smee (bantam blrw) and Weeble (ee/silkie/mutt) i'm not great at naming, obviously. LOL

ok well, i finally got pics. i test-bred my dilute/colored girl before i lost her to a predator. i've got 2 younger chicks growing out, and one slightly older pullet... this proves to me that the dilute mutation is a dominant one, she also carries the melanizing gene which is giving her some nice hackle striping (and a few dark tips to the breast feathers). i think the charcoal gene also, which is being diluted as well, giving her a red head, but i might be off on that one, since it's supposed to moderate black pigments not red ones.

Next year will be my 8th year, also. I made some mistakes, so am working on correcting those at this point.

Phil Bartz raised, bred & showed Dorkings from the early eighties. He took a break for the past couple years, but is starting up again. I'm hoping that he will come back to the Club. He is not one to talk on forums but he does answer questions asked by email.

Another long time Dorking breeder is Duane Urch.

Pics from today...

I know I have a bunch of work ahead of me with my crew, but I'm sure enjoying them. 6 viable fertile eggs in the bator with fingers crossed. Gotta start somewhere.

Athena & Delilah

Delilah, Alfred, & Runt

Marge

Midge

Theseus (he's missing saddle feathers from Alfred before they were seperated with their girls)

Next year will be my 8th year, also. I made some mistakes, so am working on correcting those at this point.

Phil Bartz raised, bred & showed Dorkings from the early eighties. He took a break for the past couple years, but is starting up again. I'm hoping that he will come back to the Club. He is not one to talk on forums but he does answer questions asked by email.

Another long time Dorking breeder is Duane Urch.
Any idea what colors Phil and Duane raise?

Pics from today...
I know I have a bunch of work ahead of me with my crew, but I'm sure enjoying them. 6 viable fertile eggs in the bator with fingers crossed. Gotta start somewhere.

Athena & Delilah

Delilah, Alfred, & Runt

Marge

Midge

Theseus (he's missing saddle feathers from Alfred before they were seperated with their girls)
love.gif

I have the brooder full of Red Dorking chicks right now straight from the flock pen. I have not paid much attention to the pullets but see some really good feet already on some little cockerels. I so wish I had a breeding pen set up so I could move some of my better birds and see who is throwing what. I am getting up to 6 eggs a day right now and just hate wasting them....

Back
Top Bottom