B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

now if mcmurray could actually get chicks shipped to me that weren't doa and 2 days late each time, i might be able to see first hand what their babies do...

at this point i'm contemplating just cancelling the order and getting some from duane urch. more money for sure, but are his birds worth the difference? any opinions?

all the mcmurray birds i've had/seen have been adult or generation or 2 out... and can't say i've seen any of duane urch's, unless that's who mcmurray's getting them from.

Last edited:
now if mcmurray could actually get chicks shipped to me that weren't doa and 2 days late each time, i might be able to see first hand what their babies do...

at this point i'm contemplating just cancelling the order and getting some from duane urch. more money for sure, but are his birds worth the difference? any opinions?

all the mcmurray birds i've had/seen have been adult or generation or 2 out... and can't say i've seen any of duane urch's, unless that's who mcmurray's getting them from.

I don't know about this year, but last year McM's birds WERE from Duane Urch. I had an order in, but he had a problem with the SGD's and offered to cancel, or do all Campines. I ended up getting both Gold and Silver Campines. Out of the 24 or so in the box, 1 was DOA, 3 subsequently died, but the rest were healthy and thrived.

I did get a lot of boys with side sprigs, so I do wonder if the ones he ships through the hatchery are from his plain wrap pens, and his better pen's birds don't get sold through his own name...

Maybe go for eggs?

Originally Posted by SoCal Dorkings
I don't know about this year, but last year McM's birds WERE from Duane Urch. I had an order in, but he had a problem with the SGD's and offered to cancel, or do all Campines. I ended up getting both Gold and Silver Campines.

Are you sure that wasn't Strombergs?

Quote: i just wanted a few to compare to what i've got... more curiosity than anything... i've got 25 colored/red coming from sandhill and 10 mature sg girls and 3 roos of my own to pick from. it's not like i'v got a shortage of birds LOL

what i REALLY need are laced bantam cochins. gold or silver. that's the primary reason i made the order with mcmurray... and may end up with duane urch. he's got gold laced too. but better than 2x the price of the others.

i would add to my sandhill order, but all bantam cochins are assorted this year, no solid color orders, and there are too many colors i have no need for on the chance i might get 1 or 2 of what i need.

i'll be ordering more cochin eggs, but even then hatch rates from shipped eggs aren't great and for what i'm paying, it turns about $10-15 per bird in the long run.

i might just wait and place an order thru TSC and see where they come from. maybe try some dorkings and cochins from them, if i can.

You ln
Originally Posted by SoCal Dorkings

I don't know about this year, but last year McM's birds WERE from Duane Urch. I had an order in, but he had a problem with the SGD's and offered to cancel, or do all Campines. I ended up getting both Gold and Silver Campines.

Are you sure that wasn't Strombergs?

You know, I was sure, till you asked (lol). I'll double check my paperwork...

You ln
You know, I was sure, till you asked (lol). I'll double check my paperwork...

... I blame lead paint chips, or something...

Kim, thank you for once again getting it right! Thanks for keeping me strait.

I was going to order from McM, so that's what stuck... Well whatever my post said folks, just substitute Stromberg Hatchery in place of McMurray (lol).

... I blame lead paint chips, or something...

Kim, thank you for once again getting it right! Thanks for keeping me strait.

I was going to order from McM, so that's what stuck... Well whatever my post said folks, just substitute Stromberg Hatchery in place of McMurray (lol).

Lol. For a few years now, I've been trying to keep track of who has which lines. I thought for sure that was your experience with Strombergs last year.

Thank you!!!
Don't have any chickens now, so we are starting out. Nobody to get along with chicken wise.
Great help I appreciate it.:D

Hi cbnovick,
Is that a buttermilk iron skillet fried chicken recipe for heritage breeds, or for the Cornish/Rock crosses like those in the supermarket? If it's for heritage breeds, any chance you'd be willing to share your recipe????? It sounds delicious.

BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN

4 Bone-in Chicken Breasts
6 Chicken Wings
4 cups Buttermilk
1 cup Hot Sauce Or Tabasco
@ 1 quart Canola or Peanut Oil, For Deep Frying
2 cups All-purpose Flour
2-3 Tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
½ cups Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Sea Salt, Plus More For Seasoning Chicken
1 Tablespoon Fresh Ground Pepper, Plus More For Seasoning Chicken And Buttermilk

The chicken begins with a wet buttermilk marinade followed by a dry batter and then the fry.

Season your chicken with salt and pepper and lay them across a baking pan. Combine the buttermilk, hot

sauce, and some more pepper together and pour evenly over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at

least 4-6 hours.

Once you’re ready to cook your chicken, add the canola oil to a large pot, reaching a temperature of

325ºF. (I highly encourage getting a deep fryer if you find yourself in the kitchen often. They’re inexpensive

and really easy to use.) In a separate dish, combine the flour, Old Bay Seasoning, corn starch, and salt

and pepper. Coat each piece of chicken with the flour mixture, lightly shaking off the excess.
Working in batches, add the chicken to the hot oil and fry for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown

and cooked through. Drain the pieces on paper towels

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN

4 Bone-in Chicken Breasts
6 Chicken Wings
4 cups Buttermilk
1 cup Hot Sauce Or Tabasco
@ 1 quart Canola or Peanut Oil, For Deep Frying
2 cups All-purpose Flour
2-3 Tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
½ cups Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Sea Salt, Plus More For Seasoning Chicken
1 Tablespoon Fresh Ground Pepper, Plus More For Seasoning Chicken And Buttermilk

The chicken begins with a wet buttermilk marinade followed by a dry batter and then the fry.

Season your chicken with salt and pepper and lay them across a baking pan. Combine the buttermilk, hot

sauce, and some more pepper together and pour evenly over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at

least 4-6 hours.

Once you’re ready to cook your chicken, add the canola oil to a large pot, reaching a temperature of

325ºF. (I highly encourage getting a deep fryer if you find yourself in the kitchen often. They’re inexpensive

and really easy to use.) In a separate dish, combine the flour, Old Bay Seasoning, corn starch, and salt

and pepper. Coat each piece of chicken with the flour mixture, lightly shaking off the excess.
Working in batches, add the chicken to the hot oil and fry for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown

and cooked through. Drain the pieces on paper towels

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you cbnovick.

I love fried chicken recipes with hot sauce. Have you tried this recipe with heritage chickens as well as the supermarket Cornish/Rock commercial chickens?
--April

Back
Top Bottom