B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

That's the rooster and a hen. Again just want to see if anyone can let us know if they are dorkings or not.

That's the rooster and a hen. Again just want to see if anyone can let us know if they are dorkings or not.
i honestly don't think so... but a couple questions.
what color are the roosters legs? pink or yellow? they look yellow to me. same question on the hen.
do they have 4 toes or 5 toes on each foot?

now the reasons why i don't think so right off the top. the hen is silver pencilled, the rooster while looking sort of duckwing-ish, could also be silver penciled as well. the roosters don't show the penciling as much IMO. also the body type on both looks more wyandotte-ish (tho wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, many breeders also use singles in the belief that rose comb inhibits fertility).

dorkings also are known for having rather large combs, neither of these seem to.

if you could get some better pics from the side as well as top, that would help pinpoint the breed they might be.

also, are they bantam or LF?

dorkings MUST have 5 toes and pink skin. long low body type with little or no cushion on the roosters and minimal on the hens and long straight tail feathers...

here's a wyandotte vs dorking rooster comparisson as an example.
wyandotte (not my bird, just a basic color goal for a project of mine)

and dorking (big red)

i honestly don't think so... but a couple questions.
what color are the roosters legs? pink or yellow? they look yellow to me. same question on the hen.
do they have 4 toes or 5 toes on each foot?

now the reasons why i don't think so right off the top. the hen is silver pencilled, the rooster while looking sort of duckwing-ish, could also be silver penciled as well. the roosters don't show the penciling as much IMO. also the body type on both looks more wyandotte-ish (tho wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, many breeders also use singles in the belief that rose comb inhibits fertility).

dorkings also are known for having rather large combs, neither of these seem to.

if you could get some better pics from the side as well as top, that would help pinpoint the breed they might be.

also, are they bantam or LF?

dorkings MUST have 5 toes and pink skin. long low body type with little or no cushion on the roosters and minimal on the hens and long straight tail feathers...

here's a wyandotte vs dorking rooster comparisson as an example.
wyandotte (not my bird, just a basic color goal for a project of mine)

and dorking (big red)
every time you throw up that wyandotte picture I get starry eyed. you done with that colored project yet? I'm willing to buy f1 eggs!!!

yeah, it is bad.
why won't you get any? if it is a space issue, cant help about that, but there are plenty of people that have the silver greys if you really want some. and I am a huge enabler when it comes to chickens. I cant see anyone suffer without trying to match them up. I am sure there are plenty of people here on the list that can help you out if it is an availability thing!

big_smile.png
That's very sweet of you!
I was just looking at all the chickens I was thinking about trying for this year; and the Dorkings were kind of hinged on my Welfare Java order, which I had thought I wouldn't be able to do, mostly because of space issues.... and I realized how excited I was for the silly Dorkings!
But this afternoon my white Orpington plan fell through, so good and bad news: good news is that my coop won't be full of Orpingtons so I might get the Dorkings!
celebrate.gif
Bad news is that I wanted white Orpingtons!!
hit.gif

Further bad news is that now I have to wait for the Javas to become available
sad.png
tongue.png

Quote: ROFL

nope. haven't really started. i've got 1 pullet out of the hen i lost, by the red roo above. and i just put the other tannish hen in with thing2 tonight, but she's with 3 reds and 2 silver greys also (i can tell the sg eggs from the others, but not tannish's).

once my pens are done then i'll be able to set her up specifically. plus i'm hoping to get some more similarly colored chicks in the sandhill batch. should know what they are by the time they're 3-4 weeks old, color wise. might even have a roo to match. hoping so anyways.

i also have several of tannish's eggs (likely bred by one of the reds) to go in the 'bator soon... along with about 30 others. LOL hatch em all, sort them out later.

I have a order for 12 Red Dorking chicks from Dick Horstman. The chicks are due to arrive mid April. I am looking forward to getting the Red Dorkings.

Back
Top Bottom