B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

But, um, two of the chicks are a very pale yellow...didn't realize I was going to have whites....news to me! I better get some grass growing to cover our mud, but I console myself with the fact that at least Dorkings don't have feathered feet. Feathered feet would really look a mess!

If they have light stripes on them, they're red pyle.

Quote:
Yes, the original design was a wine cooler.. just like some original designs are styrofoam coolers, toaster ovens or aquariums.. or even a sheet of plywood.. HOWEVER they have modified it to become an incubator. If you have any doubts you can give Chris at Reptipro a call and he can explain the modifications they made 1-800-259-9755
There are also a few comments by Chris on here (yes, he is a member on BYC) where he explained the original modifications they made to the original design (for the Reptipro 5000) and then the other modifications they made for the newer model (Reptipro 6000)
Just because the initial design was a wine cooler.. that doesn't make it any less of an incubator than a modified toaster oven or modified aquarium or any other design where they started out with a product and modified it to turn it into a working incubator.

and kind of funny that IF it is JUST A WINE COOLER I have managed to incubate and hatch out hundreds of eggs in them with 0 issues... and consistently getting 100% hatch rates on my eggs. Personally I think that's one amazing "wine cooler" to be able to accomplish better results that I have with a "commercial incubator"

Yes, the original design was a wine cooler.. just like some original designs are styrofoam coolers, toaster ovens or aquariums.. or even a sheet of plywood.. HOWEVER they have modified it to become an incubator. If you have any doubts you can give Chris at Reptipro a call and he can explain the modifications they made 1-800-259-9755
There are also a few comments by Chris on here (yes, he is a member on BYC) where he explained the original modifications they made to the original design (for the Reptipro 5000) and then the other modifications they made for the newer model (Reptipro 6000)
Just because the initial design was a wine cooler.. that doesn't make it any less of an incubator than a modified toaster oven or modified aquarium or any other design where they started out with a product and modified it to turn it into a working incubator.

and kind of funny that IF it is JUST A WINE COOLER I have managed to incubate and hatch out hundreds of eggs in them with 0 issues... and consistently getting 100% hatch rates on my eggs. Personally I think that's one amazing "wine cooler" to be able to accomplish better results that I have with a "commercial incubator"
Thanks for the phone number but no way am i calling it. I asked for a refund long ago and never got a response back.

Guess what bummed me out the most was paying 300 bucks for a 50 dollar wine cooler with zero instructions for hatching chicken eggs. The incubator I have now might have cost twice as much but it's 100 times the chicken egg incubator that the wine cooler pro is, seriously......

Anyway that's the last i'm going to speak of that trumped up wine cooler.....

Last edited:
Last edited:
If they have light stripes on them, they're red pyle.

Some of them do. some of them dont. I have 16 chicks hatched out now!!!

red pyle is a pretty coloration (looked it up on google so all I am seeing is game birds with it) and certainly will disguse the whole red clay thing nicely. does anyone have any photos of Dorkings with this coloration?

Hi Everyone,
I'm going to be cooking my first Dorking today. He was 10 months old, and the dressed carcass weight is 5.1 pounds. Can anyone share their favorite recipes, cooking times/techniques, etc for this breed? I'd like to have a crispy skin when he's done. The last time I cooked a bird in the dutch oven the skin came out soft. I assume you just take the lid off the dutch oven during the last 30-40 minutes to get the skin crispy? Or do you sear it under the broiler first? I've really talked up this breed to my husband and friends, so I want this bird to come out perfect. Thanks everyone.
--April

Hi Everyone,
I'm going to be cooking my first Dorking today.  He was 10 months old, and the dressed carcass weight is 5.1 pounds.  Can anyone share their favorite recipes, cooking times/techniques, etc for this breed?  I'd like to have a crispy skin when he's done.  The last time I cooked a bird in the dutch oven the skin came out soft.  I assume you just take the lid off the dutch oven during the last 30-40 minutes to get the skin crispy?  Or do you sear it under the broiler first?  I've really talked up this breed to my husband and friends, so I want this bird to come out perfect.  Thanks everyone.
--April

:fl

Hi Everyone,
I'm going to be cooking my first Dorking today. He was 10 months old, and the dressed carcass weight is 5.1 pounds. Can anyone share their favorite recipes, cooking times/techniques, etc for this breed? I'd like to have a crispy skin when he's done. The last time I cooked a bird in the dutch oven the skin came out soft. I assume you just take the lid off the dutch oven during the last 30-40 minutes to get the skin crispy? Or do you sear it under the broiler first? I've really talked up this breed to my husband and friends, so I want this bird to come out perfect. Thanks everyone.
--April

I've found that starting the bird off at a slightly higher temp and getting a good sear on the skin before covering it helps. Once I get close to the colour I want, I drop the temp to regular cooking levels. Then, I cover the bird and let it cook until nearly where I want it...then I uncover and cook the rest of the way through. The skin comes out wonderfully and the bird is moist through and through. I coat mine in a honey, molasses and beer mix, though...so not sure how much that has to do with it
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom