B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the hatching eggs from Black Diamond Ranch? I know hatching eggs are a bit of a gamble under all circumstances, but how have people's hatched in the past?

In 2009, I ordered a dozen eggs from Black Diamond. Most of them were smashed during shipment. 1 chick hatched from them. The post office covered the cost and I was shipped another dozen eggs. None of these hatched.

This is Lucky from Black Diamond :

In 2009, I ordered a dozen eggs from Black Diamond. Most of them were smashed during shipment. 1 chick hatched from them. The post office covered the cost and I was shipped another dozen eggs. None of these hatched.
Oh no! I ordered from Jeanne this year. I'm hoping I have better luck with their arrival condition and hatch rate.
sad.png

Have anyone done taste test between 6 months vs. 2yrs old with this breed? And also fresh vs. frozen from freezer?

I have only had Dorkings for a couple years now, but I have had the opportunity to dress out several Dorking cockerels and a rooster and was amazed at the difference between this breed and my Doms. The Dorkings were much easier to dress out (pluck & eviscerate) and produced a clean, plump carcass (albeit “hairy”) that cooked up very tender and tasty. Even the 18 mo. old roo was meaty and quite tender for his age. Cannot wait to put more of them in the deep freeze this season!
droolin.gif

This is Lucky from Black Diamond :

Oh my! That is my concern, the PO and its variables. If I was to pick up, it would be a LONG journey for me and I would probably hold off until my pullets were were I wanted and needed to widen the gene pool more. Has Lucky attended any shows? How satisfied are you with his growth, coloring, offspring?

Yeah the extras he sent in my second batch were silver pencilled rocks too. They are just under a week old and extremely cute. One hatched yellow with a silver patch or two but the other are more solid silver. I wonder if it is related to gender or just natural variation. It is hard to tell with only three. I ended up with 13 dorkings from this hatch- fourteen hatched but lost one to what must have been spraddle leg. It was walking odd at hatch but it didn't look like spraddle leg but progressively got worse. The other 13 appear very active and healthy though.

Back
Top Bottom