B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

What do you guys think about Dorking cold hardiness? Lord Dingwald picked up a cough at the first cold snap and just can't shake it. I've tried Duramycin and Tylan on him. Now Dorcus has a bad cough after the last bad freeze, too.

What do you guys think about Dorking cold hardiness? Lord Dingwald picked up a cough at the first cold snap and just can't shake it. I've tried Duramycin and Tylan on him. Now Dorcus has a bad cough after the last bad freeze, too.

Chickens do not catch colds.

Since the anti biotics did not work then the problem is most likely either fungal or viral. If you can't get a throat culture to see what it is and treat it, you can try oxine without activator in a cool mist humidifier. Look up how to do this. Many have had success with it.

Had a horrible weekend. I got a call at work that my Dorking rooster was found outside on Saturday sopping wet and not moving. He passed later that evening. We are thinking that he was hanging out under the eaves of the house and the ice and snow fell off the roof and hit him. It's the only explanation I can come up with because he was healthy that morning.

Oh no! I am so sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif

Chickens do not catch colds.

Since the anti biotics did not work then the problem is most likely either fungal or viral. If you can't get a throat culture to see what it is and treat it, you can try oxine without activator in a cool mist humidifier. Look up how to do this. Many have had success with it.

Cold hardiness, as in how badly impacted they are by cold weather compared to other breeds. Does it appear to stress their immjne systems more? Or do they hold up as well?

Thanks for the info on the humidifier. I never would have thought of that.

Quote:
I've never had any problems with any of mine, except one roo who chooses to stay out and get soaked then freeze half to death while guarding his girls... he does that about once a year, then spends a week inside recuperating. I think he does it on purpose, for the 'vacation' time... and scrambled eggs too. LOL

LOL!

In your experiences, how do Dorkings do in damp conditions? I heard somewhere, cannot recall where, that they don't do well in them because of the short legs; but what would you say?

Back
Top Bottom