B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

I got some lovely birds from eggs from Craig, unfortunately not SOP colors, though. blue-reds mostly with unspecified dilution genes. I would love some eggs from real colored birds if anyone gets through to Rudy, let me know! I have one "colored" girl (I think) that I am going to put with the blue-red-diluted rooster if no other options.

We had wicked predator issues this year, too. and Mareks. I am down to 34 birds (from about double that) mostly because of a fox that I think we have finally outwitted....,either that or he's hibernating. do foxes hibernate? gosh, I HOPE we'v outwitted him....

glad we don't have weasels.

I got some lovely birds from eggs from Craig, unfortunately not SOP colors, though.  blue-reds mostly with unspecified dilution genes.  I would love some eggs from real colored birds if anyone gets through to Rudy, let me know!  I have one "colored" girl (I think)  that I am going to put with the blue-red-diluted rooster if no other options. 

We had wicked predator issues this year, too.  and Mareks.  I am down to 34 birds (from about double that)  mostly because of a fox that I think we have finally outwitted....,either that or he's hibernating.  do foxes hibernate?  gosh, I HOPE we'v outwitted him....

glad we don't have weasels.
Fox do not hibernate and you do have weasels, you just have not had an encounter yet. They are everywhere. Piet

DeannaA
I think it is a gamble on whether the roosters offspring will be aggressive. Also, it is not uncommon for roosters to show some attitude this time of year. I would personally probably go ahead and raise the cockerel and see how his temperament was before giving up on him. What exactly is her rooster doing that is aggressive? Is it unprovoked or does it seem to be when she is working with his hens? I have no idea about the hen's sickness though. Where is your friend located? I am in Alabama and may have an extra rooster in the near future but it would be pick up only and I don't know how your friend feels about driving. There is another lady on here from Alabama who would probably be a good one to ask about obtaining a rooster, too, if your friend decides she wants to go that route.

Last edited:
Fox do not hibernate and you do have weasels, you just have not had an encounter yet. They are everywhere. Piet
okay, cool...that means we have outwitted him finally. we were losing a chicken every three days like clockwork for most of the summer until we finally just bought a fortune's worth of electric net fence and circled it around our whole hill. (about 3 acres)

maybe weasles only hunt at night. (we have really good coops...all our losses are daytime)

DeannaA
I think it is a gamble on whether the roosters offspring will be aggressive. Also, it is not uncommon for roosters to show some attitude this time of year. I would personally probably go ahead and raise the cockerel and see how his temperament was before giving up on him. What exactly is her rooster doing that is aggressive? Is it unprovoked or does it seem to be when she is working with his hens? I have no idea about the hen's sickness though. Where is your friend located? I am in Alabama and may have an extra rooster in the near future but it would be pick up only and I don't know how your friend feels about driving. There is another lady on here from Alabama who would probably be a good one to ask about obtaining a rooster, too, if your friend decides she wants to go that route.
She was putting the water down, the hens were eating and he attacked with his spurs. He had already pecked her several times but she figured it was that time of year. This time he waited until she bent over to set down the water.

Hmmmm Wish I had good advice to offer. I have only ever had one aggressive cockerel and he grew out of it pretty quickly- guess he just went through a giddy teenager stage. We named him dinner because he was slated for the table but then he calmed down before we got around to processing. He was a lavender Orpington, not a dorking. Anyhow, he ended up being a great cock. So far we haven't had a problem with any of our Dorkings in this regard.

How about a time out box or run for him for a couple of weeks.
smile.png

I see that Dorkings are on the threatened list according to The Livestock Conservancy.

Are they difficult to find?

I am pretty set on getting a flock of White Dorkings to keep as my white egg laying breed.

Back
Top Bottom