B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

My birdies had their first outing today and loved it.
Happy babies
2764.png

Somewhat recently purchased two red hens and a red roo (Horstman line) as well as a SG male with a less clear background. My understanding is that one hen is a year old and everyone else is two years-old. I'd love to get more hens, but have not found any other Dorkings in Central TX that are not just from the large hatcheries. I don't care so much about things like color, but body type is really important to me.

I've seen both roosters mate, but am not seeing bullseyes on any of the eggs. Sometimes the white spot looks a bit more enlarged and faded than usual, but nothing looks defined. One hen has gone broody and is sitting on some eggs that do not look like they are developing at all (day six) when candled. All four are molting slightly...not sure if that is typical in the spring. I've heard of others having fertility issues with their Dorkings. Any tips, ideas, or suggestions to get some fluffy chicks running around?

PS. Adorable chicks Puddin!

Last edited:
Somewhat recently purchased two red hens and a red roo (Horstman line) as well as a SG male with a less clear background. My understanding is that one hen is a year old and everyone else is two years-old. I'd love to get more hens, but have not found any other Dorkings in Central TX that are not just from the large hatcheries. I don't care so much about things like color, but body type is really important to me.

I've seen both roosters mate, but am not seeing bullseyes on any of the eggs. Sometimes the white spot looks a bit more enlarged and faded than usual, but nothing looks defined. One hen has gone broody and is sitting on some eggs that do not look like they are developing at all (day six) when candled. All four are molting slightly...not sure if that is typical in the spring. I've heard of others having fertility issues with their Dorkings. Any tips, ideas, or suggestions to get some fluffy chicks running around?

I, too, am in central TX and fond of Dorkings. I purchased a young adult trio from Mr. Urch, shipped in the fall of last year, learning to incubate and hatch my own chicks this year. I have some concerns regarding hatch ability, please refer to my posts in other threads on this forum and on the FB Dorking group. I would love to discuss chickens with you, when convenient for both of us.
Best wishes,
Angela

Oh, really?
clap.gif

The Dorking is a dual purpose breed; eggs and meat, so if there are any culls or non-show quality males, schwwwwwik! A pic of a Red Dorking male and a Red Dorking female:
fromthefarm7-24-08032.jpg

Chickiepics12-08001.jpg

Well we finally have some Dorkings.... but went with the Red Dorking. They were available at the poultry workshop at P. Allen Smith's farm a few days ago. We now have a quad of them.

I was never sure what the breed of my rooster was, but he came with a group that included a silver grey Dorking. After seeing the last post's pics I'm wondering if he had some red Dorking in him.

His type is not quite right... he might be a cross but I don't think he's pure.

Last edited:

I was never sure what the breed of my rooster was, but he came with a group that included a silver grey Dorking. After seeing the last post's pics I'm wondering if he had some red Dorking in him.
Does he have 5 toes, or the usual 4 toes? He is a red duckwing pattern, which is the color of the Red Dorking, but that is a common color among many breeds of chickens (it is actually the "wild type" color of chickens, and all other colors are a mutation of it). What makes a Dorking different from other birds is the details of the body shape. Dorkings are described as cinderblocks and low barges. The body is somewhat angular, rectangular, and elongated. This rooster has a more rounded body type. If he has 5 toes then he may be a Dorking mix (as there are very few breeds with 5 toes) or a pure Dorking that is not breeding quality, but if he only has 4 toes than he really has no Dorking features from this camera angle. But he is gorgeous!!

Before doing anything, worm and treat for MG, dose for all external parasites to hopefully eliminate all of these as possible suspects.
Try trimming fluff from the butts, increasing the protein (eggs, dog/cat food, game bird crumbs), add free fed kelp and oyster shell, add red cell to the feed, vitamins to the water twice a week and apple cider vinegar once a week. This shotgun approach should fix most common problems. After a month if there are no changes, put any known fertile females with your male (breed doesn't matter) and do the same for the gals. This will at least narrow down which sex is causing the blanks. Good luck, with the feather quality issues it sounds like the shotgun approach should help.

Last edited:
Does he have 5 toes, or the usual 4 toes?  He is a red duckwing pattern, which is the color of the Red Dorking, but that is a common color among many breeds of chickens (it is actually the "wild type" color of chickens, and all other colors are a mutation of it).  What makes a Dorking different from other birds is the details of the body shape.  Dorkings are described as cinderblocks and low barges.  The body is somewhat angular, rectangular, and elongated.  This rooster has a more rounded body type.  If he has 5 toes then he may be a Dorking mix (as there are very few breeds with 5 toes) or a pure Dorking that is not breeding quality, but if he only has 4 toes than he really has no Dorking features from this camera angle.  But he is gorgeous!!

Thank you for the "gorgeous" remark! He was also very tame, protective, intelligent and friendly. But, sadly, I'd have to dig him up to check on the toes. He passed last autumn.

Back
Top Bottom