B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Aw...thanks!
Korie grew up around the birds, and the breed itself is the "old time farm collie" type dog. You don't see it in the photo, but she is GREEN with envy that I would dare spend any time talking to silly goslings. She's very good with the "down" command, rolls her eyes and lies there waiting for us to go do regular chores so she can hunt for mice in the barn.

The geese are the most interesting creatures. I just love them! Can't wait to try those Narragansetts too.. I think they hatch next week. Hmmm....probably need to look that up *lol*

Here's puppy Korie from last year -- she's a silly dog.

*lol* There's quite a bit of interest in these guys. I've hatched about 50 to grow out and depending on how they look, I might hatch some in the fall and ship a few started youngsters. With our hot climate, shipping is tricky at best....
I'm road weary right now! Actually, with all these babies (geese, turkeys, chickens), I'm just WEARY!

I printed off your brooder drawing -- I've outgrown my current facilities!

Last edited:
@pysankigirl
How was the seminar? I almost drove up there (6 hours one way--ugh) for a trio of Narragansetts and attend the seminar but thank goodness came to my senses and found some eggs locally. I do love road trips though. But right now the nursery room is at full capacity so trips are kinda tough!
The seminar was very informative. I've been interested in wild foods for some time...ever since we got goats (started wondering what **I** could eat) but no amount of internet research will compare to talking to someone whose Grandmother would tell to go out and get some polk for dinner. and who knows recipes and what tastes the best how. and Craig LOVES to talk.

and we went on a hike and he showed us how to get the best parts of what we could find. and then they served a creasy greens and rice casserole and steamed flowerheads (like broccoli) and wild carrot cake (very good!!!) for a late lunch.

*lol* There's quite a bit of interest in these guys. I've hatched about 50 to grow out and depending on how they look, I might hatch some in the fall and ship a few started youngsters. With our hot climate, shipping is tricky at best....
I'm road weary right now! Actually, with all these babies (geese, turkeys, chickens), I'm just WEARY!

I printed off your brooder drawing -- I've outgrown my current facilities!

well, I make and sell them, and shelves to put them on, so let me know what you want and I can get it together for your next road trip. ;)

some shelf options... (but not all of them!)

Quote: Craig is a talker. I enjoy listening to him -- getting a question in requires work!

Funny I've had the exact same conversation with someone over polk saying it tastes better than asparagus. I just grow asparagus and forage in my garden *lol*

It's probably a southern thing, but my grandparents cooked polk -- except they always called it polk salad and nobody had ever heard of foraging as it grew everywhere and the horses wouldn't eat it. As a kid -- eating collards was bad enough and shelling beans. ugh
Shelling beans is somewhat a happy peaceful place now -- getting old I guess :)

Does everyone's hens look as bad as mine do now? sheesh....

look what hatched today.

Very cute!
thumbsup.gif

Greetings! For those interested in APA/ABA-centric Dorking conversation, I have begun a Dorking thread in the new Exhibition, Genetics, and Breeding to the Standard of Perfection section. This new thread is specifically for the discussion of the Dorking within the context of the SOP and is not meant to replace or detract from your enjoyment of the BYC Dorking Club.

It may be found here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/882047/the-dorking-breeders-thread

Best,

Yellow House Farm

Back
Top Bottom