B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

There were a couple of questions on here, and I'd like to give my observations from my own flock of reds.

It is very hot and humid in Central Alabama this time of year -- the adult Dorkings are doing very well even in their new pens that don't have the mature shade trees they grew up free ranging under last summer.

If I collect eggs, my hens do not go broody. If I leave eggs for a few days, it is easy to get them to brood.

Someone was asking about roost heights. Once mature, 3 ft. is plenty as a 9 lb. cock jumping straight down in an enclosure can jamb his feet or injure legs. Flying off a perch with a steady easy decent across a yard is different thing entirely.

The strain of reds that I have are very mellow easy going birds that rarely hop a fence. If I open the gate, they span long distances grubbing for seeds and bugs and are EXCELLENT free ranger foragers.

I've also had Sandhill birds that went where ever they wished. Excellent foragers, but would hop the fence every day. This is a large yard with a 6ft. board fence around it.

CapayKim has stated this before -- Dorking temperment varies with different strains.

Quote: i've been there and done that with losing a primary cock and not having a backup. it put my breeding for those varieties back a year or more, because all i could find were replacement cockerels that had to mature first...

so now i keep extra boys ALWAYS. I have a bachelor pen that the extra boys all live in, or if i'm not trying to collect whatever breed is free ranging, then the boys all go loose and help guard the girls that are free ranging.

Hi everyone! Brand new here
smile.png
I've been looking for Dorkings like crazy and everywhere seems to be done till spring and I can't seem to find a breeder near South Carolina. Any help? Any one have chicks or hatching eggs?!
welcome-byc.gif
As a matter of fact, I do know. PMing you now.
thumbsup.gif

It seems that both your cockerels could use longer breasts, this may fill in later, but they lack the block type. They also have low tail angles and both carry their wings low instead of tucked up at midships. I think the comb is supposed to follow the neck in the back but don't think that's a big deduction.
That's my $.02 . Maybe someone with experience will post and correct me.

Yay! I just finished my first show with my first dorkings! I got best standard bred large fowl female in the 4-H show!!!!

Back
Top Bottom