B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Quote: I'll be hatching everything I can get my hands on and probably mid to late summer should be making some decisions as to who stays and who goes. if hatching goes well I may make some preliminary decisions earlier and selling off some extras. it just depends on peoples' hatching and growing out plans. if you want to pm me, I can let you know what I've got when I have some available...

Ok, I am curious. What is the average Point of Lay for Dorkings? I have some Dorkings that I think might be coming close to time when they should start laying and was wondering what everyones experience has been with Dorkings. So what is the age that your Dorkings have started laying?

Shannan

Ok, I am curious. What is the average Point of Lay for Dorkings? I have some Dorkings that I think might be coming close to time when they should start laying and was wondering what everyones experience has been with Dorkings. So what is the age that your Dorkings have started laying?

Shannan

Are these the pullets from the Oct. hatch? The one guy I got back from you isn't quite red enough. I'd look for eggs mid-late April :)

Yes, and I was anticipating around May to June but was curious as to what the averages were for the breed. They are doing well overall and I am still amazed how big they are. Even my pullets are gaining weight and looking good. I guess I am just impatient for eggs from them.

Thanks for asking,

Shannan

I guess I am just impatient for eggs from them.

Shannan
I have four pullets that came from two hatches, Sept 29, 2014 and Oct 22, 2014. I got my first egg at 4 1/2 months; today I got three eggs if you count the one I pulled from one of the pullet's cloaca. It was trapped pointy end first and hanging out the vent, in a bright red bubble. This is the second time I've found her in this condition. Things seem to go back to normal once the egg is out, but she has a great deal of fecal soiling around the vent as a result. I cleaned her up. The other chickens have not tried to peck at her. Looks like I'm down to three breeders. I think due to the late hatch date perhaps she came into lay too soon. I've always read that it is better for layers to come to maturity in periods of decreasing daylight. Its a shame because I have so few to start with, and while she is small, her color is what I think is closest to the standard.

edit: I should add that we've had unseasonable weather, sunny and 70's.

Last edited:
I am breeding show quality Dorkings in every color silver grey, dark grey, red, colored, except white and ended up with a white cockerel and a white chick so far and several reds and colored Dorkings. Where is the white coming from?

Last edited:
Ok,  I am curious.  What is the average Point of Lay for Dorkings?  I have some Dorkings that I think might be coming close to time when they should start laying and was wondering what everyones experience  has been with Dorkings.  So what is the age that your Dorkings have started laying?  

Shannan

Mine began laying at 5 months, but were given laying feed instead of grower and had access to oyster shells.

I am breeding show quality Dorkings in every color silver grey, dark grey, red, colored, except white and ended up with a white cockerel and a white chick so far and several reds and colored Dorkings. Where is the white coming from?

dark grey is not a recognized variety by APA, but I'd like to see pictures of your birds and also know the weights on your adults?

are you breeding the colors separately or all in one pen? white can be recessive so it depends which pen the eggs came from to identify which line carries the strain.

Back
Top Bottom