B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Hi Chelsea.. they are growing and developing well. I hatched 3 RD & 1 SGD/AM mix & bought 2 SGD from Nancy

the cockrel i hatched w/t curled toes
the 2 hens i hatched.
i think the are nice looking, what do you think?

They look beautiful. Can't wait for them to plump up in a few months. I'm so glad that the auto sexing trait came through for them :)

Hi everyone. We've been interested in dorkings for a while now and I would like to hear all I can about their temperaments(in a mixed flock) and laying abilities. We're especially interested in the roosters temperaments and how they do with people and other roosters as we may consider breeding them. Really any info or insights you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Also I have never heard anything about them being auto-sexing but I've seen it mentioned in what little of this thread I've read so far. Are they supposed to be?

they are so sweet but they dont tolerate being bullied but i dont have a rooster of that breed though they are very good in mixed flocks my dorking prefures to stick by my modern game hen then my other dorking hen and yes the pullet is darker than the cockerel what color are you getting?@chickendreams24

Last edited:
they are so sweet but they dont tolerate being bullied but i dont have a rooster of that breed though they are very good in mixed flocks my dorking prefures to stick by my modern game hen then my other dorking hen and yes the pullet is darker than the cockerel what color are you getting?@chickendreams24
Sometimes the colors are not that drastically different. The ones we had the striping was pretty much the same but the head stripe was less defined on the boys.

I received my silver dorkings in April I was supposed to have two cockerels but I got four and 11 pullets. I have one cockerel that I love and it's beautiful. Only problem with him his he has four toes and everyone else has five. I'm assuming this is a genetic issue. So that being said is it worth keeping him for breeding when he's mature.

I received my silver dorkings in April I was supposed to have two cockerels but I got four and 11 pullets. I have one cockerel that I love and it's beautiful. Only problem with him his he has four toes and everyone else has five. I'm assuming this is a genetic issue. So that being said is it worth keeping him for breeding when he's mature.
If they came from a breeder and they used the feather color method, that would explain why you have too many cockerels. The color method is 80% accurate. Vent sexing is what the hatcheries use for SG Dorkings.

I'm thinking of converting my homestead to all heritage breeds and crops. Rather than buying chicks every year for meat and eggs, I'm looking at building and sustaining my own dual purpose flock. Right now Dorkings are towards the top of the list. How do they handle captivity? Free ranging? Winter?

I'm thinking of converting my homestead to all heritage breeds and crops. Rather than buying chicks every year for meat and eggs, I'm looking at building and sustaining my own dual purpose flock. Right now Dorkings are towards the top of the list. How do they handle captivity? Free ranging? Winter?
We have had a couple in our flock for 3 years now. They free range when we are out with them, otherwise they are in a coop with a run and plenty of space. We are in the south and don't have the harshest winters but the one thing with the males you may need to watch is frost bite on the comb. Same with the ladies, they get a pretty large comb and wattles. I have really enjoyed the breed. We do not process our birds, we are more hobby farm/pets but they do get quite heavy and the roos esp. would make a good meal.

Back
Top Bottom