B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Hi. I've just got my first dorking chicks. I'm guessing they're around 3 weeks old. Apparently they're easier to sex than other breeds but I can't tell. Apparently they think these are girls but thought I'd ask the dorking experts. I'm hoping at least for 1 girl to keep as they're being brought up with my 2 sex link chicks. They're a bit different for me so looking forward to hopefully having a nice looking bird in the backyard.

Chick 1

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 2

@cheep82

They appear to be pretty dark smudges on their heads (indicating female-lighter brown smudges are male) but it would be best to compare just to be sure! The chest feathers should be coming in salmon/red colour in the next month or so....that way you will know for sure if it is a hen. Black chest feathers is a Roo
1f60a.png

They do look darker than my guy above. His smudge was quite light.

Last edited:
@cheep82

They appear to be pretty dark smudges on their heads (indicating female-lighter brown smudges are male) but it would be best to compare just to be sure! The chest feathers should be coming in salmon/red colour in the next month or so....that way you will know for sure if it is a hen. Black chest feathers is a Roo
1f60a.png

They do look darker than my guy above. His smudge was quite light.

Thanks!
That's what the breeder thought too. But sure did say she thought they were girls but can't guarantee that. These two love scratching and have since taught the sex links how to do it properly. It's very cute.

Are there any White Dorking breeders left? I've reached out to some in this thread and others found in this thread. I have had no luck with any that will have spring chicks.

Are there any White Dorking breeders left? I've reached out to some in this thread and others found in this thread. I have had no luck with any that will have spring chicks.
@YellowHouseFarm but you will likely have to look up the website. I do not think he uses BYC any more.

Another dorking question! One of the chicks looks like it has an extra extra toe (so 6 one one foot) is this just a deformity? They're 3 weeks so no sign of male or female chest feathers. This is the one with the smaller comb. It ran in poo trying to hide from me so apologise for the dirty foot! Last toe has 2 nails?

Last edited:
Another dorking question! One of the chicks looks like it has an extra extra toe (so 6 one one foot) is this just a deformity? They're 3 weeks so no sign of male or female chest feathers. This is the one with the smaller comb. It ran in poo trying to hide from me so apologise for the dirty foot! Last toe has 2 nails?

I would say SME type of deformity. Shouldn't affect the bird but I wouldn't use it as breeding stock or for show. Congrats on the babies.
1f601.png

I would say SME type of deformity. Shouldn't affect the bird but I wouldn't use it as breeding stock or for show. Congrats on the babies.
1f601.png

Thanks. They're not breeding or show just pets so I'm sure it'll be fine. I hadn't seen it before so thought I'd check. Hopefully next week we will be able to tell if they're male or females.

Back
Top Bottom