B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Pics
Quote:
Thank you
smile.png
One of my girl's toes looks a bit like you girls but not quite the same, I must catch them for pics.

Quote:
I'm interested in opinions, what do I do with my Dorkings? They (particularly the cockerel) are not correct and would probably be culls normally but I only have the 4 of them.

So... given I can't just order heaps from a hatchery, what to do?

The options I have are:

Breed what I have, hatch lots and cull hard? I am trying to organize a better cockerel but don't know if I'll be able to get one yet.
or
Buy eggs and hope the chicks are better than mine.
or
Both of the above.

I guess both is the option I'll probably be going with but I expect I'll be eating a lot of chicken this year...

Also, how bad would you consider my 'lack of toes' issue? Is is even possible to get 4 toed offspring from pure Dorkings?
It should be dominant so I can easily pick the 5 toed babies out and a test breeding to a 4 toed breed down the track to check if the bird is pure for it.
But if they definitely aren't pure, I guess there isn't much point breeding from them at all.
hmm.png

Well, you can breed A LOT and cull hard for toes at hatch.

Also, insofar as you're working with SG Dorkings. You could get an order from MMCM Hatchery, whose SG Dorkings aren't so shabby at all. They have their base in Duane Urch's stock, which is quite good.

You could also get eggs from Duane Urch.

Mmmm I wish I could but I'm in Australia and they are listed as Endangered (Fewer than 200 purebred breeding birds) here so getting them from a hatchery isn't an option.

Culling for toes at hatch seems like a sensible option, would mean I could put them straight on meat grower feed or cull them depending on numbers/space.

I promised DH meat chickens and these guys grow fast! My pullets were and still are bigger than all the other pullets and some of the cockerels! Very happy with this growth rate.

Drat! Forgot to hit send this morning
he.gif

Quote:
i could send you some eggs but im in new zealand but if you sort it ill send them when they start laying i have a breeding trio of sg's

Oooh! That is very tempting! Thank you
big_smile.png
Now I better check if customs is ok with that...

*Sigh* Technically? It's possible. Practically? It would cost less to purchase the winners at the rare breeds show.
hmm.png

My head is about ready to explode after reading AQIS's 'Fertile egg importation' document. Darn quarantine rules!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom