B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Pics
Hi farmerchef -

I hate to tell you this - but I don't think your girl is a Dorking
sad.png

She looks more like a combo colored Wyandotte to me?

I'll have to defer to the more "senior" Dorking experts for a final ruling...

They said it is a Dorking cross (DorkingX). The 5 toes could be an indicator... my crosses with a dorking rooster always wound up with 5 toes. She is definitely an interesting cross, though!
smile.png

Quote:
I have a Rose comb red dorking roo (picture shows him very young, he is now mature, filled out and not so leggy, no new pictures yet would like some Cuckoo Dorkings, and possibly work on Creole down the line. I am just a very small hobby breeder, but am trying to study up on genetics.

Last edited:
Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

They said it is a Dorking cross (DorkingX). The 5 toes could be an indicator... my crosses with a dorking rooster always wound up with 5 toes. She is definitely an interesting cross, though!
smile.png

Sorry! missed the (X) cross indicator! I know I read somewhere else that there are a couple other breeds that have 5 toes too, or am I just making that up?
idunno.gif

I must say, I do like the penciling on her myself
bun.gif

smile.png
Yes, Silkies have 5 toes, Salmon Faverolles, Sultans I think,... there are a few. It just depends what the breeder has in his pen as possible crosses.
smile.png

Hey, all, question: my dorkings came from Sand hill (which probably doesn't affect my question or the answer!). I have a bunch of black ones, and one black that is pretty clearly a roo, has white ears. I mean really white. LIke a round white spot on each side of his head. Is that normal? I don't remember reading anything about white ears, but then I've not found much about black dorkings at all. I know I've seen pictures of black birds with white ears, but I can't remember what breed they were.

My birds were hatched the third week of Sept. in case that matters.

Hello everyone!

I haven't been on in awhile (and don't get a chance to much lately) but if anyone is seriously interested in Dorkings, I would like to recommend a book for you:

http://www.cafepress.com/erinrac.27277643

The book description doesn't really do this book justice. It draws information from interviews from breeders around the world and old, out of print books. (I don't have anything to gain from someone buying the book, it's not cheap- but I learned quite a bit from it.)

Note of interest: one of the breeders interviewed for the USA section was Craig Russell, currently President of the SPPA. I ran into him at the Ohio National last year and bought a rooster from him. Nice guy!

Keep up the interest in Dorkings- don't get too discouraged, information and birds can be difficult but not impossible to find.
smile.png

Hi dorking people
smile.png

I just got 10 red dorkings and a pair of silver greys. I'm looking forward to working with them this year. The reds come from Roger Tice and silvers came from Deb Billiar. I have one fertile egg in the incubator and I sure hope they start laying soon! Do any of you show in Indiana or live in or near Indiana?

Quote:
Do you mean the feathers around the ear are white or that he has white lobes? I think white in the lobes is common with most dorking varieties due to the light colored egg (white) they are supposed to lay according to the standard. White feathers near the lobe would be a bad thing...

Back
Top Bottom