B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Pics
I have a Rose comb red Dorking roo and hen from Sandhill, and they are doing great this winter. I am setting some eggs from them now. Sandhill is offering Cuckoo Dorkings this year which I assume are single comb. I have ordered 10 and my plan is to just keep the hens to breed to my roo. I should get all rose combs because the rose comb is dominent, and with more crossings, I would like to create a rose comb creole Dorking!

Very cool. You're probably going to want to keep a few cockerels from your current Red on Red mating. From these you can make your creles. If you make all of your creles from one cokerel, it will mean that hey are all 1/2 siblings. Your need for new blood wil cause quick frustration. If you could figure out how to maintain a minimum of four breeding pens, it would greatly behoove your project. This doesn't necessarily mean four large groups, but if you have four groups frm which you can make calculated pairings, you'll be able to a long time without worry too much about inbreeding depression.

You should get the creole with just that cross. Also, does anyone have a new standard? What does it say about combs on Reds? There is a typo in my 1998 edition Black and White because it omits the Reds' comb description.

Quote:
I don't believe the rose comb on the red is accepted yet. I chose the rose comb for its winter hardiness and I love Dorkings. I am a novice (obviously) breeder, and although I plan to breed to standard, I will probably never show myself. I just love genetics, breeding and babies!

Last edited:
Hi everyone-

In case you're wondering what you can get from Sandhill's black dorkings, these are mine that I have to put up for sale:

55361_img00070-20110206-1356.jpg

55361_img00069-20110206-1356.jpg

55361_img00065-20110206-1355.jpg

55361_img00071-20110206-1357.jpg

I can say that if I wasn't moving that I wouldn't be selling them. They lay large, white eggs and the rooster is a great to the hens and never a problem to me.

Quote:
Hi!

I'm near Louisville. I have family in Alabama that I'm planning to visit soon, so you may not have to make that whole drive if you want to meet along the way. Just PM me.

Back
Top Bottom