B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

I got very lucky, thanks to a nice gal a short distance from me, and was able to purchase 6 Dorkings. A trio of Reds and 2 Colored hens. These pics don't do the birds justice. They are also in the middle of moulting. For comparison, the feeder is a 10lber and about a ft off the ground. I am very excited, and looking forward to seeing how well they settle in
smile.png

62442_dorking3.jpg

62442_dorking4.jpg

62442_dorking5.jpg

62442_dorkings2.jpg

62442_dorkings_1.jpg

Quote:
Well, she came from a pure colored mating, so I reckon she's a colored. But I've seen mentioned and been told breeding Coloreds is a very finicky process, as they throw some interesting, well, colors! I reckon I won't know till sometime next fall, as that will be when I should (fingers crossed) have a small flock of coloreds grown and ready to start breeding.

DD is taking two SG Dorking pullets to the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show this weekend, I'll post if there are any other Dorkings there. I'll see if I can get a couple of decent pics of our girls too.

Quote:
oh thanks for the reminder about the show... gonna see if i can talk hubby into going for a ride this weekend... can you PM me the info about it? i don't remember where i found it before...
hmm.png

k.i.forgot strikes again.

Hello, all!
I am expecting my first Dorking chicks from Sandhill this winter/spring, and have read that Dorkings are slow to develop. At what age will they probably be able to move from a heated pen in my garage to an unheated pen in my barn?
Thanks,
Angela

Quote:
these are my 2 sg dorkings from shipped eggs, cockerel (left) and pullet (right)
dorkingduo11-16.jpg

I only have bantams and EE's to compare with but i'd say they're feathering out as fast as the rest. now reaching 'market' size, I think they take a bit longer, but not horribly so. My understanding is that "Heritage" breeds aren't supposed to be fast. quality takes time...

reminds me of a sign over hubby's toolbox (ASE Master Tech) says "Good, Cheap, Fast. Pick any 2." you can have good and cheap but won't be fast, you can have good and fast, won't be cheap, or you can have cheap and fast, but won't be good. this could apply to almost anything in life...

but for poultry IMO, good = meat quality, cheap = good growth on little food, and fast = time to market size. I think the dorking would fall under the good, cheap category. since letting my dorkings free range, my feed consumption hasn't increased noticeably from what it was before I got them.
now those EE chicks are going to eat me penniless! every time i turn around the dish is empty.
barnie.gif

Quote:
I don't think that they are any slower to develop than other heritage breeds, in terms of how long to keep them warm. It all depends on the temps of the environment and if they have enough buddies to huddle to keep warm. I have 6 week old chicks, that are all feathered now. They don't have heat, but they are being raised by a hen. This is California, but it's been dipping into light frost temps at night and the coop is open air.

I would say, once yours are feathered, gradually wean them off the heat and see how they do.

Kim

Back
Top Bottom