B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

These are chicks from my Cuckoo roo over cuckoo single comb, and red rose comb hens. All were bought from Sandhill Preservation center which is about 30 minutes away. Right now I have a hen on some RCR due to hatch in a couple of days. Hopefully I will get a great roo from them, and breed them back these.

ok, i was talking with someone the other day and described one of my 'dark' dorking girls, and he said she was a 'dunkel' but all i can find points to a darker version of silver grey.

suggestions what she really is? if anything? she came from sand hill as a chick, i picked her up a month ago.

forgive poor photography, she really is shaped like a dorking but all her color is on the front... the rest of her is nearly black.

i wasn't aiming for her at the time, but if i get any better pics today i'll put them up.

Last edited:
yes, he's a silver grey, and came from murray mcmurray hatchery. probably the best resource for silver greys outside of an independent breeder. i love these guys because they can be sexed reliably at an early age.

here's a pic of the big guy's offspring that i kept for breeding. 7 pullets, 1 cockerel, all just about 4 months old (hatched at weekly intervals from thanksgiving to christmas), plus 3 of my cochins hatched same time (pair of silver laced and a black pullet). you can see the range of shades of the hens' breasts, the one on the cage to the left is probably my darkest girl.

I will be picking up some chicks in July from Meyer (we are driving to get them, I'm too nervous to have them shipped when it is so hot out!!) and one is going to be a silvery grey dorking pullet. Any idea if they are similar to the MurrayMcMurray stock? Yours are beautiful!

lol my mille/calico cochin was crowing at 3 weeks, and i thought that was young! my sg dorkings don't usually start until 5 weeks or so I'm finding.

ok, i was talking with someone the other day and described one of my 'dark' dorking girls, and he said she was a 'dunkel' but all i can find points to a darker version of silver grey.

suggestions what she really is? if anything? she came from sand hill as a chick, i picked her up a month ago.

forgive poor photography, she really is shaped like a dorking but all her color is on the front... the rest of her is nearly black.

i wasn't aiming for her at the time, but if i get any better pics today i'll put them up.

Nice photo, Karen! ;) I wish I knew more about the colors... she's pretty, whatever you call her!

WOO HOO!!! got a call yesterday (listened to the message this morning) that sandhill's shipped my chicks. 8) should be here tomorrow but i plan to call the PO today and have them call me, i'll take a long lunch from work and get them. 8)

so... 25 today, i've got 16 week old-ers, and 15 due to hatch in 2 weeks and 20 more due in 3 weeks (set 2 days ago) and 5 mille fleur cochin due this coming monday. LOL. gotta get going on my outdoor pens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom