B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Originally Posted by Yellow House Farm
silver greys for now... I'll be setting up my 2 silver grey roosters and splitting up the hens into breeding pens once the weather cools down a bit.

I'll also be setting up a red roo from Craig Russell i got from him this spring with the 3 best sandhill red girls, and i've got 4 chicks from Rudy Troxel (Roger Tice lines) that will be added to the breeding pen(s) in the fall...

the colored have become a research project for me, for now.

So here is one of my 9 week old girls. I am very new to dorkings, and, well to chickens at all, really. and I got her from a hatchery so I suspect she's not the best specimen but I'd love an honest appraisal as I don't know what I am looking for. can anyone critique her coloring for me and tell me what I should be trying for if I do try to breed?

Quote:

So here is one of my 9 week old girls. I am very new to dorkings, and, well to chickens at all, really. and I got her from a hatchery so I suspect she's not the best specimen but I'd love an honest appraisal as I don't know what I am looking for. can anyone critique her coloring for me and tell me what I should be trying for if I do try to breed?
size and type first. worry about color later. she's obviously a silver grey so that's the important part. LOL if she were supposed to be silver grey and was black and white spotted, then i'd worry.
wink.png

and 9 weeks is a bit young to start critiquing... most of mine, unless they're WAY off base, i don't start eyeballing them until at least 12 weeks old, most are going on 16 weeks before i give my initial assessment.

i might even wait until they start to lay to give a second vote. that's what i did with a few of the pullets, who developed side spurs on their combs.

but remember, dorkings are a slow growing breed, so don't be quick to cull based on size at even 6 months... as long as they have the general overall appearance that screams "DORKING", hang onto them. by 1 year you'll have a better idea of size overall. my 'old' roo at about 18 months is still growing.

Last edited:
oh, I am starting with nothing, and I know it. I am planning mostly on having birds that lay for eggs for our use.

But looking for that special bird that I will put into a special coop for vacation getaways to produce eggs that I will allow to come into fruition.
So not going to cull...even if they just end up as pets who provide table eggs, I am satisfied. So plenty of time.

but with a gene pool this shallow, I don't want to rule out breeding if I have something worthy.

just want to know if I do and what to look for. with people talking about color recently, it got me wondering about what the color SHOULD be like and if mine cut it.

I think of the Dorking as having a old soul.
They look at you like the know the secret to life (at least mine do). Quite independent but eager to come for a treat.
They "tank" around the yard like they own it. Very good mothers, they storm through the yard with their chicks in tow, so cute. Don't mess with their chicks or look out!

Yeah, I have to admit that I love their personalityies so far!!! I can pick them up no problem and they will even come to me if I stand still for any amount of time. not afraid of me at all. all the other chickens take a bit of effort to catch, but not the dorkings. They are so mellow!

oh, I am starting with nothing, and I know it. I am planning mostly on having birds that lay for eggs for our use.

But looking for that special bird that I will put into a special coop for vacation getaways to produce eggs that I will allow to come into fruition.
So not going to cull...even if they just end up as pets who provide table eggs, I am satisfied. So plenty of time.

but with a gene pool this shallow, I don't want to rule out breeding if I have something worthy.

just want to know if I do and what to look for. with people talking about color recently, it got me wondering about what the color SHOULD be like and if mine cut it.
don't worry about color. that's the least of the issues the breed has. ONCE we get the size and form back where it should be, then we can worry about the finer points of color.

right...so I will get back to you guys later with pictures showing form when they have grown.

The problem is that my eye is jaded. I think they are the cutest things I ever saw.

it kills me that they are so fragile, though and that every carnivore with teeth (or talons) is out to get them.

owning chickens will be the life of me.

right...so I will get back to you guys later with pictures showing form when they have grown.

The problem is that my eye is jaded. I think they are the cutest things I ever saw.

it kills me that they are so fragile, though and that every carnivore with teeth (or talons) is out to get them.

owning chickens will be the life of me.
i don't find that the dorkings are any more fragile than any other breeds, but i do think they may be tastier. LOL

i feel sorry for any predator that tries to bother my colored girl that's broody. i found her finally, and it took 2 of us to get her off the nest so i could mark her eggs to be sure she didn't have new eggs being deposited... but all is good. her nest is about a week along.

Back
Top Bottom