B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

DD's taking 4 SG Dorkings to the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show tomorrow, a cockerel and 3 pullets. Last year hers were the only Dorkings there. If any of you happen to be there, look us up!

I learned this week that the livestock manager at the Virginia Museum of American Frontier Culture is working with colored Dorkings for the museum grounds, if anyone in the mid-Atlantic area is looking for those. You can PM me for his contact information.
oh! i totally forgot about that... where is it again? no extra cash right now, but if i can talk hubby into filling the beast i might be there.8)

My Dorking cockerel is starting to feel hormonal but the girls are totally not ready. Since we are headed into winter here I suppose there is plenty of time for practice so that by the time spring comes around (or Feb when I hope to start hatching) my cockerel will not have any fertility issues. That would stink.

Since my last pics sucked.... here is another that also is a stinker...
Just a question about your birds colors~ Is his breast black? He looks very red all over, a little too red for the Black Breasted Red coloring a Red Dorking rooster should have. He does look like he has a pretty good chest and body in general. It will be fun to see the chicks you get!
pop.gif

Last edited:
Back from the show and DD's Dorking pullets did very well -- Champion and Reserve Champion English in the Jr. show, as well as Reserve Champion Large Fowl. The judge specifically mentioned that the Dorking pullets were very good, so we are encouraged. I know our boy's coloring is not the best, but his body's not bad so we'll see what we get next spring.

No show pics, alas -- I was juggling 3 kids, 7 chickens, and a baby -- but here are some "day after" picks of the two winning pullets, plus a side and top shot of our cockerel. All are spring 2012 Murray McMurray chicks. Critiques, please!

Pullet #1

Pullet #2

2012 cockerel

2012 cockerel, top shot

Back from the show and DD's Dorking pullets did very well -- Champion and Reserve Champion English in the Jr. show, as well as Reserve Champion Large Fowl. The judge specifically mentioned that the Dorking pullets were very good, so we are encouraged. I know our boy's coloring is not the best, but his body's not bad so we'll see what we get next spring.
That is really great! It looks like she has a good start on chickens and showing!
clap.gif

Just a question about your birds colors~ Is his breast black? He looks very red all over, a little too red for the Black Breasted Red coloring a Red Dorking rooster should have. He does look like he has a pretty good chest and body in general. It will be fun to see the chicks you get!
pop.gif
Thank you for saying SOMETHING. Good question. I think so. I had hoped that would develop. I love the look of the ones Iceh posted. That black and white cockerel/rooster is nice on the eyes. I will have to check the Dorkings body over more later today. SO cold here. Here is another pic and question: Dorkings fill in when?? These still seem so small. I guess they are about 26 weeks now but geez. Patience... I know. He is hunching in the cold, can you tell?

Thank you for saying SOMETHING. Good question. I think so. I had hoped that would develop. I love the look of the ones Iceh posted. That black and white cockerel/rooster is nice on the eyes. I will have to check the Dorkings body over more later today. SO cold here. Here is another pic and question: Dorkings fill in when?? These still seem so small. I guess they are about 26 weeks now but geez.
I missed your previous post and I can't comment on the color of your Red. He looks like a good start, if you want to spend some time improving the strain. You can't be impatient with this breed. Looks to me that his tail's too high, back's too short, but I'm not a judge. His breast looks good and he appears to be of good weight. All my guesses, since you asked.
My Dorkings don't really fill out until 7 months, which is when I butcher the culls. They keep maturing for a year or two.

Back
Top Bottom