B12 deficiency...eggy solution?

Austinms

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2022
Hello, Flock!

Greetings from the Fleet (Orpington booties look like sailing ships...duh!). I (a human person) have been struggling with mysterious symptoms for some years now at 25 years old. I finally might have an answer...a vitamin B12 deficiency! I will be starting supplements but would also like to make some dietary changes. We are looking into what is causing my deficiency, as I do eat a lot of eggs (which should cover me).

My question for you all is...is there a way to feed or supplement the Fleet to increase B12 levels in the eggs (without, of course, harming the Fleet)? My instinct is perhaps not, since eggs are already so rich in B12. This is a hard thing to research on my own; most searches show up with improving hen's B12 levels because they are low or just the general advice of eating eggs, etc. Do you know of any resources that might be helpful?

More generally, do you know of any practices that change or improve the nutritional quality of the eggs beyond a proper chicken diet? Thank you!

B12 in eggs is surprisingly hard to absorb. If you can get any offal from a butcher, to give the chickens, it will surely help. but whole bugs are competitive, if you can let them free range, and also if they have access to very fresh ruminant or rabbit manure.

Back
Top Bottom