Babieeeesssssssss

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LVchicks, Feb 7, 2013.

1. LVchicks

LVchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    I got the call at 6AM from our postmistress that the chicks were ready to be picked up. My 9 and 12 year olds were already up waiting for the phone to ring. We hopped in the car and made the 10 mile drive to the PO. We went to the back door and while we waited for them to locate our chicks, there were a few other people picking up too, I talked chickens with one of the workers. He keeps EE :D
    All my little ones were alive and cheeping :D
    We got them home and as I was putting them in the brooder I noticed one BO has a bad cross beak and is missing an eye. Everyone else is hail and hearty. A couple are small, especially the RIRs but they are all eating, drinking and running about. A few are already showing real personality. There is one BR that is quite boisterous and thinks that she is all that. I'll be surprised if she isn't my "10% cockerel" There is an EE who will keep cheeping even after everyone else as quieted down. She is good size, eats and drinks....just won't settle down. I could see a difference in them from before they drank the water (with sugar) and after.
    My special BO is an extra, I ordered 4 and they sent 5. I know I should cull the little cross beak but I've only had chickens for a couple hours and I have to cull one? I will have to work up the courage. There is no way this little one can survive.

The Barred Rocks and EE seem to be the healthiest/largest/most energetic.

We have a long way to go before I can really have an educated opinion but for today I am glad I ordered from Ideal.

2. jessaba

jessaba Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2012
    North Ga
    Glad everyone else made it!! Yes, its always hard for me to cull them. In fact, my dad or husband is the one who has to do it.

Good luck with the rest!

3. LVchicks

LVchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Cuteness overload....baby and chicks[​IMG]
    Fuzzybutts!!![​IMG]

The kids have already named me Captain as I am quite bold and 'in charge'
    [​IMG]

Telling the BR chicks apart from the Australorps is hard.

4. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Woohoo Congratulations, I got mine from Ideal too at 6 AM this morning, they are all healthy like yours other then I got 30 d'Uccle's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by