Babies due...Questions!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducklover15, Jun 9, 2009.

1. I have 5 Call ducklings due next week and I want to make sure I'm ready and prepared.

I've hatched ducklings before but they were rouens and I hatched them at school...so my teacher did most of the stuff.

The eggs are on day 21 right now and are in an incubator. I still turn them many times a day and maintain the temperature at 37.5 degrees C. I candle them a couple times a week and all seem to be growing nicely.

The incubator has a fan on the top that moves the air around and I have to add water to the bottom everyday for humidity.

Is there anything I should be doing differently as their due date comes closer?

Also, when or how do I know if I should help any of the ducklings pip through the shell? I heard Calls sometimes have trouble with that, but how would I know and what would I use?

When they hatch, what temp should the brooder be at?

Thanks! =]

2. lauralou

lauralou Songster

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I wish I could help you, but I don't know the answers to your questions.

The least I can do is give you a bump to the top of the list.

Good luck with your hatch!

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Songster

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Make sure you stop turning the eggs on day 25, and up the humidity to around 80% for the last 3 days. Also, don't candle them after day 25.

I never check for an actual temp in the brooder. I just clamp a work light in there (the ones with the metal shield around the bulb) and I adjust it as necessary. If they are crowding under the light, then they are cold and I move the lamp closer. If they won't lay anywhere near the light, then they are too hot and I move it farther away.

4. streemers

streemers Songster

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    the booder is 90deg the first week then go down 5 deg. every week until you are at 70deg then you dont need the light any more

or you can go as Chickentoes says and that is what i do also. the first time i did it the other way and it caused me lots of stress when it didnt need to

good luck!!

5. Thanks guys! =]

It's day 25 so I'm crossing my fingers that I start seeing some babies in the next few days!

I have the brooder all set up now and it's at 90 degrees exactly. =]

And I don't have anything that tells me the humidity... I haven't really been worrying about it as long as I make sure I add water to the incubator every day. Should I be misting the eggs on the last three days or should I just leave them alone?

All are still alive so I assumed the humidity was okay.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  6. I have one pipping through the air sac!!!

I'm so excited!! I really hope they don't need any help because I have no idea when helping is a good idea...

7. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    If they pip and then lay there for a long time...you can peel a bit of the shell away to help it. But if you see blood, stop!

8. Okay thanks! I really don't want to help unless I absolutely have to...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: