Babies due...Questions!!

ducklover15

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
South-Eastern Michigan, USA
I have 5 Call ducklings due next week and I want to make sure I'm ready and prepared.

I've hatched ducklings before but they were rouens and I hatched them at school...so my teacher did most of the stuff.

The eggs are on day 21 right now and are in an incubator. I still turn them many times a day and maintain the temperature at 37.5 degrees C. I candle them a couple times a week and all seem to be growing nicely.

The incubator has a fan on the top that moves the air around and I have to add water to the bottom everyday for humidity.

Is there anything I should be doing differently as their due date comes closer?

Also, when or how do I know if I should help any of the ducklings pip through the shell? I heard Calls sometimes have trouble with that, but how would I know and what would I use?

When they hatch, what temp should the brooder be at?

Thanks! =]

I wish I could help you, but I don't know the answers to your questions.

The least I can do is give you a bump to the top of the list.

Good luck with your hatch!

Make sure you stop turning the eggs on day 25, and up the humidity to around 80% for the last 3 days. Also, don't candle them after day 25.

I never check for an actual temp in the brooder. I just clamp a work light in there (the ones with the metal shield around the bulb) and I adjust it as necessary. If they are crowding under the light, then they are cold and I move the lamp closer. If they won't lay anywhere near the light, then they are too hot and I move it farther away.

the booder is 90deg the first week then go down 5 deg. every week until you are at 70deg then you dont need the light any more

or you can go as Chickentoes says and that is what i do also. the first time i did it the other way and it caused me lots of stress when it didnt need to

good luck!!

Thanks guys! =]

It's day 25 so I'm crossing my fingers that I start seeing some babies in the next few days!

I have the brooder all set up now and it's at 90 degrees exactly. =]

And I don't have anything that tells me the humidity... I haven't really been worrying about it as long as I make sure I add water to the incubator every day. Should I be misting the eggs on the last three days or should I just leave them alone?

All are still alive so I assumed the humidity was okay.

Last edited:
If they pip and then lay there for a long time...you can peel a bit of the shell away to help it. But if you see blood, stop!

Back
Top Bottom