Babies hatched!!! - Video posted

nsanywhere

Songster
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
It started yesterday - 4 out of the eggs by late afternoon, 2 more this morning. SO EXCITING!!!! My mama goose is a 2 year old Sebastopol, this is her first batch and she couldn't be more pleased with herself.

There are still 2 eggs left - one with no activity at all, one well on its way out, but no progress since yesterday. I *know* I'm not supposed to help them out of the egg, but my emotions are getting the best of me. If I help this little one, is that certain death? Its just so hard to see it struggle, get knocked around by the active six babies, and not always in the warmest spot under mom.

Thoughts?

Here are a few pics of the babies - more to come!

46752_img_0508.jpg

Some babies are starting to venture out
46752_img_0536.jpg

AWWWW!
46752_img_0543.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats !

I have heard some of the people I know say it may be a good idea to spray teppid water on the shell of the struggling one. They say it doesn't interfere so much as it softens the shell/ membrane for the little one to do it themselves. They say it may give a little "refreshment" and stimulous.

BUT... this is all hearsay and I can't vouch for it.

So beautiful! Makes me want a goose, but I have no pond.......I'd better just stick to the chickens.....Lovely mama and babies......

I know you're not supposed to help and I've had good hatches just waiting but if this little one really is late and maybe is trying to get out too small a hole you can gently crack the shell in a circle - shouldn't hurt.

Well, I l decided to let Mother Nature do her thing. The little one did make it out of the shell, but died, still damp, under mama. Another one also died, and the last egg isn't showing any activity.

But, I have 5 gorgeous, happy, healthy little goslings! They ventured outside today for the first time, had a little snack and started drinking water.

46752_img_0606.jpg

She let you get that close? I hope that when ( and if
wink.png
) my geese decide to hatch their eggs, they're as fun as yours!

Back
Top Bottom