1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

babies will not go to bed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledmoma, Mar 22, 2009.

1. speckledmoma

speckledmoma New Egg

Mar 22, 2009
    Cedar Bluff
    [​IMG] This is my first time and I have speckled sussex they will be a year old in June I have just started to let them out and they do not want to go up at night what do I do to get them back in at night Thank you Beck

2. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Thats odd my chickens always go in when it gets dark. Maybe just herd them in and after a while they will get the idea that they're supposed to go in at night.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    How long have they been in that coop? If it's new to them, they won't recognize it as "home".

If this is a new occurrance, it's possible that somethign spooked them and is preventing them from roosting there.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    They are far more likely to go in if there's a light in there. I have a fluorescent bulb in a shoplight on hooks facing the ceiling so that it's fairly dim, set on a timer to go off 1/2hr to 45 mins after deep dusk. That gives them time to find their roosts, have a bedtime snack and drink, and tell a bedtime story.

...They can also see where bed is, becuse it's the only lit obvious area to go!

5. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    How long did you keep them in the coop? It's best to keep them a few weeks in a new home. If you've done this, then, yes, a light will probably be your best bet. Maybe try giving them a snack before bed, to give them more, err, incentive to come back.

6. speckledmoma

speckledmoma New Egg

Mar 22, 2009
    Cedar Bluff
    I have had them in from August 2008 until now I have a light in there and they have a lot they can go in to all day when I turn them out but I can go out there at 9 or 10 at night and they are still in the lot [​IMG]

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Is the outside area lit up? Maybe they don't know it's dark?

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Is it possible there's a rat or something? How odd- did they go in there before? This is new behavior? You just started to let them out, right? They may just need to have some coaxing to get them in at night, at dusk. If you show them at that time, they may pick up the habit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by