babies will not go to bed

speckledmoma

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
Cedar Bluff
tongue.png
This is my first time and I have speckled sussex they will be a year old in June I have just started to let them out and they do not want to go up at night what do I do to get them back in at night Thank you Beck

Thats odd my chickens always go in when it gets dark. Maybe just herd them in and after a while they will get the idea that they're supposed to go in at night.

How long have they been in that coop? If it's new to them, they won't recognize it as "home".

If this is a new occurrance, it's possible that somethign spooked them and is preventing them from roosting there.

They are far more likely to go in if there's a light in there. I have a fluorescent bulb in a shoplight on hooks facing the ceiling so that it's fairly dim, set on a timer to go off 1/2hr to 45 mins after deep dusk. That gives them time to find their roosts, have a bedtime snack and drink, and tell a bedtime story.

...They can also see where bed is, becuse it's the only lit obvious area to go!

How long did you keep them in the coop? It's best to keep them a few weeks in a new home. If you've done this, then, yes, a light will probably be your best bet. Maybe try giving them a snack before bed, to give them more, err, incentive to come back.

I have had them in from August 2008 until now I have a light in there and they have a lot they can go in to all day when I turn them out but I can go out there at 9 or 10 at night and they are still in the lot
roll.png

Is it possible there's a rat or something? How odd- did they go in there before? This is new behavior? You just started to let them out, right? They may just need to have some coaxing to get them in at night, at dusk. If you show them at that time, they may pick up the habit.

Back
Top Bottom