Babies / young chickens dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crayon, Feb 18, 2013.

1. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    I ordered 35 Black Australorps from Meyers Hatchery that were delivered December 4th. Within the first 5 days we had lost at least 10 of them. I had ordered these to replace a bunch that a fox had killed. So, I ordered more to replace the ones that died too- they came the following week.

So, all together I had 70 chickens, I believe i am down to 30 now. They keep dying. Some are strong and growing fine, a bunch look like they are maybe 3 weeks old. They are not growing. But even a few of the larger strong ones are dying. I am at a loss. Did I just get a genetic breeding issue?

I have raised chickens for a while and have had about 200 babies though rotation on our farm. I understand a small baby dying- a few days in. But I have NEVER lost a chick at 2 1/2 months- let alone one after another. Today my girls were walking around with a little hen and she has labored breathing and her eyes are shut. Another one will bite the dust today.

Are BA a hard breed to raise? I have had it all- Silkies, RIR, SLW, PR, EEs, BR, ISAs, Polish.... and this has never happened.

None of my other 40 are dying- and they are all together. Just these babies. I even have babies that a mama hatched 2 weeks older (5 of them) and they are all still alive and thriving.

2. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    [​IMG] a bit hard to see, but look close, you can see the size difference in these 2 little hens. ;-/

3. TacomaChickNMom

TacomaChickNMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    Sorry to hear about this :-( So disappointing. I would call and talk to the breeder? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by